Hold on to your hats folks – pumpkin craze is about to hit town.
And my orange vegetable obsession means that I will certainly be joining in with a pumpkin recipe or two. Or three.
Step one – clear out all my leftover pumpkin to make way for the new.
Step 2 – use said pumpkin puree in as many dishes as possible over the weekend.
And what a weekend it was. One of the recipes I tried was a creamy pasta recipe using pumpkin. This turned into a ready in 20 mins macaroni and cheese, with pasta covered in a pumpkin and cream cheese sauce all topped with crunchy hazelnuts. Left over pumpkin has never tasted so good.
Creamy Pasta Sauce without Cream
A quick note to those of you looking for a creamy pasta sauce without cream: this recipe will fit the bill. (And will taste just as good as any recipe with cream.) Its creaminess is all thanks to cream cheese (everything is better with cream cheese) and of course pumpkin puree.
Creamy Pasta Recipe
Is there anything better than a recipe that comes together in about 20 mins? Even better, a recipe that comes together in about 20 mins that tastes like it took much longer?
Step 1. This creamy pasta recipe is easy to make, but it doesn’t taste like it.
Step 2. Begin by preheating your oven (fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4).
Step 3. Roast hazelnuts, peel, and roughly chop.
Step 4. Whilst the hazelnuts are roasting, boil pasta according to directions and set aside.
Step 6. Here is the “how to make pumpkin sauce” step: Add pumpkin puree, 4 tbsp of water, and cream cheese to the cooked onions and garlic.
Step 7. Stir in your cooked pasta and top with hazelnuts.
Your creamy pumpkin pasta recipe is complete. Easy? Very.
Other Squash in this Creamy Pasta Sauce Recipe
Butternut squash sauce? Hubbard squash sauce? Kabocha squash sauce? Butternut and other squashes will work in this recipe if you don’t have pumpkin. Butternut is best because the flavour is almost an exact match. Sweet potato will work in a pinch too.
Toppings for this Creamy Pasta Sauce Recipe
Like most things, this creamy pasta recipe can be even better if you add some crispy bacon or bits of leftover ham.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
If you’re obsessed with this orange vegetable like I am, you’ll be happy to note that pumpkin is quite good for you:
- Pumpkin is rich in fibre which assists in digestion.
- Pumpkin is high in beta-carotene which becomes Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is good for our eyes, immune system, and skin.
- It is full of anti-oxidants (very good for you).
What’s not to love?
Happy pumpkin craze folks.
If you liked creamy pasta recipe with pumpkin sauce and toasted hazelnuts, below are some other pumpkin recipes you might like.
South Indian Pumpkin Pickle from Jamie Oliver
Thank you for reading my creamy pasta sauce recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
This post has been updated from Sept 2014.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Creamy Pasta Recipe with Pumpkin Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Creamy Pasta Recipe with Pumpkin Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Roast the hazelnuts for about 8 mins until lightly golden. Then set aside to cool before peeling the skins off and roughly chopping them.
- Whilst the hazelnuts are roasting, boil the pasta according to the packet instructions, drain when done and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and add in the spring onions and garlic and cook for about 1 min until the onions are soft.
- Then add in the pumpkin puree and 4 tbsp of water followed by the cheeses and mix well.
- Then stir in the pasta and the rest of the water, mix till everything is well coated and warmed through.
- Serve the pasta topped with the hazelnuts and chives and a fresh green salad.