Eat different with this beef and purple potato curry.
Have you ever been led by colour when creating a dish? I am going to pretend that you said yes, jump up and down in my kitchen with an enthusiastic yes, me too, me too. It is soooooo normal right?
I have had this purple potato and beef curry recipe idea for three months. It all started when came across the fab Purple Majesty potatoes from Albert Bartlett. I promptly fell in love with their purpleness and knew that nothing but a purple based curry would do. There was the document on my computer about purple potato curry with star anise and cinnamon. Then the post-it on my kitchen wall with purple potato curry with beetroot sauce. Plus, the bathroom post-it with beef and cardamom scribbled on. It simmered for a long while.
And I am soooooo pleased to have finally made it, because it worked exactly like I wanted it to. Plus, the kitchen smelled so good with onion sautéed in the beef flavours along with star anise and cinnamon. Best smell ever. It is creamy, has warming spices, got the meat to keep Freddy happy, got the melt on your tongue potatoes and IS PURPLE. Yeap, totally purple. Overexcited? Yeap. Halloween supper sorted? Yeah.
I opted to cook this on a stove, but I reckon it would work equally well in a slow cooker and or oven. Especially if you are using tougher cuts of beef. Feel free to adapt the spices to your taste and serve with rice, bread and mild chutneys.
Oh and peeps, please to head over to British grown potato produces Albert Bartlett’s website. These guys bring us seriously good potatoes like these Purple Majesty potatoes, the nutty jersey royal new potatoes and Britain’s favourite potato aka the rooster.
The purple majesty potatoes are now available in selected Waitrose stores in November.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Purple Potato And Beef Curry! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Purple Potato And Beef Curry
- 300 g cooked beetroot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cm piece ginger peeled
- 1 tsp mild chopped chilli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g (1.1lb) beef cubed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500 g (1.1lb) purple potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 0.25 tsp ground cardamom
- 400 ml (1.7 cups) hot chicken stock
- Add the beetroot, garlic, ginger and chilli into a blender and whiz into a puree and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot, brown the beef in a couple of batches and then remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion, star anise and cinnamon, plus 1 tbsp of water to deglaze the pot and sauté for 7 mins.
- Add the browned beef and potatoes before mixing in the garam masala, coriander, cumin, cardamom, chicken stock and pureed beetroot and the season well.
- Reduce the heat to its lowest setting and simmer for 50 mins - 1 hr until the potatoes and beef are cooked through.
- Serve with some rice or bread.
This post is sponsored. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to continue cooking up great recipes for you. All opinions are my own.