African Recipes – Why not try this cinnamon butter fried rice with grilled sardines for a quick and easy breakfast.
I have been rather lacking on the rice recipes on the blog. I mean I am a Sierra Leonean who absolutely loves rice. So much so that I very often have ‘col res’ for breakfast. Especially with some left over cassava leaves, warmed slowly to form the lovely crunchy ‘crowo’ at the bottom, scraped out of the pot and piled high. Best. Breakfast. Ever.
Or there is the cinnamon butter fried rice I make when I want an easy and tasty breakfast. It is simply a matter of making the spiced cinnamon butter and frying leftover rice in it. Even easier when using straight out of the pack, ready cooked basmati and wild rice from Veetee. It then takes all of 5 mins to make along with the grilled sardines. I do just eat it straight out of the frying pan.
The great thing about this cinnamon rice recipe is that you can customise the spices to what you prefer or what you have in your pantry. And it can be served it alongside meats, fish or vegetables depending on your mood. Sky is the limit.
PS do pop over to the Veetee website to find out more about their products. I now have a handy stash of their rice packs in my store cupboard to see me through quick weeknight suppers, breakfast rice cravings and feeding impromptu drop in guests.
Here is how to make an easy peasy cinnamon butter fried rice along with a side of grilled sardines. Happy breakfast.
This post is sponsored. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to continue cooking up great recipes for you. All opinions are my own.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Quick Cinnamon Butter Fried Rice With Grilled Sardines - African Flavours! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Quick Cinnamon Butter Fried Rice With Grilled Sardines - African Flavours
- 2 X 105g (3.7oz) tins boneless sardine fillets in olive oil, drained
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Chilli flakes to taste
- 8 large spring onions (scallions) finely sliced
- 2 X 280g (9.8oz) packets of Veetee basmati and wild rice
- Preheat the grill to high and grill the sardines for about 5 mins turning half way through. Set the fish aside somewhere warm.
- Add the butter and oil in a frying pan over medium heat until the butter starts foaming and quickly mix in the cinnamon, coriander, paprika and chilli.
- Add the spring onions into the spiced butter and fry 1 min.
- Then stir in the rice, season with salt, mix until well combined and fry for about 3 mins till warmed through.
- Serve the rice topped with the grilled sardine fillets.
For more ideas using Veetee rice please check out
Nasi goreng from Super Golden Bakes
Mozzarella stuffed aubergine balls from Amuse Your Bouche
Rice, quinoa and vegetable bites from Utterly Scrummy Food For Families
New Orleans style rice from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Baked rice samosa from Fuss Free Flavours
Quick and easy spicy rice n bean feast from A Glug Of Oil
Golden baked peri peri chicken, yoghurt and rice cake from Kavey Eats
Vegetable Biriyani with cauliflower and chickpeas from Maison Cupcake