Introducing you all to this gorgeous summery courgette (zucchini) and quinoa lasagne all topped up with a cinnamon yoghurt béchamel sauce.
Culinary masterpiece I tell ya. Even OH who tends to be a bit suspicious about veggie substitutes in ‘meat’ dishes was impressed. Not a single piece of pasta or flour in sight. So healthier – tick, gluten-free tick, protein packed – tick. Admit it – you are happy that you now have one further recipe for your summer glut of courgettes.
I almost did not share this lasagne recipe – I sat on it for three WHOLE months.
Why ? Because I have photographic perfectionist tendencies when it comes to some foods. I had the perfect picture in my head and nothing but that perfect picture would do.
So I cooked and photographed attempt 1. Lesson learnt – don’t ever try and cut into, or photograph hot lasagne. Nope.
Attempt 2 – cream bowls and top down shots and hungry guest do not work. Nope, nope, nope.
After attempt no 3, ie the pictures you see here, I figured that it was time to pack away that perfectionism and just let the recipe speak for itself.
So here is this delicious quinoa and courgette lasagne. It tastes good. Go. Make. This. Now.
Courgette Quinoa Lasagna with a Cinnamon Yoghurt Béchamel
- 260 g (1 1/2 cup) quinoa
- 720 ml (3 cup) water
- 550 g courgette sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 55 g (2oz) baby spinach shredded
- 500 g (17.5oz) Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp water if using a thick yoghurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp honey
- 6 tbsp Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cup) passata sauce
Cook the quinoa:
- Pour the quinoa into a fine mesh sieve.
- Rinse under a running tap and thoroughly wash the quinoa (rubbing through it with your fingers) for 3 mins to remove any bitter outer coating.
- Let the quinoa drain for a few mins to remove the excess liquid.
- Place the quinoa into a pot and add in the water, oil and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 15 mins - you will see tiny spirals (aka the germ) coming out of the seeds.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat, open and fluff the grains and let stand for about 10 mins.
Roast the courgettes:
- Whilst quinoa is cooking preheat the oven to fan 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Mix the courgettes with the oil and some salt and roast for about 12 mins to soften them.
- Take the courgettes out of the oven and set aside to cool but leave the oven on.
- Make the yoghurt béchamel by whisking all the ingredients together until well combined.
Now assemble the lasagne:
- Spread all of the quinoa in the bottom of the dish.
- Then spoon a third of the passata sauce over the quinoa.
- Then layer the courgette and the shredded spinach and spoon on the remaining passata.
- Finally top with the béchamel sauce.
- Bake the lasagne in the oven for 20-25 mins until golden.