I love red.
As in my kitchen units – red, red, red.
Slow cooker, waffle maker, blender, spatula – all red.
My favourite present from OH – cashmere coat – red.
Outdoor chairs – red.
OH’s hair – red.
You get the gist right? What does this have to do with today’s recipe? Nothing. Just wanted to share the red love around.
Amongst all the red gifts we got over Christmas was a Scandinavian cookbook which I spent a lot of time drooling over. Especially the gorgeous open sandwiches aka Smørrebrød with various exciting toppings over fresh rye bread.
So when I found myself with a whole load of radishes and some fresh bread the obvious thing to do was make my version of a ‘Smørrebrød’ minus the rye. It is fun to make with the kiddoes and a colourful way to use up your summer harvest of radishes. I see this pretty open faced sandwich making an appearance at a lot of summer bunches. This also makes and easy lunchbox idea if you top it with another slice of bread.
Plus the radishes are red’ish. So maybe my opening sentence had something to do with this sandwich after all.
I am entering this recipe in the dotcomgiftshop summer blogger competition. Do check out their rather fabulous summer sale and grab yourself a few bits and pieces. I certainly will.
- 10 radishes finely chopped
- 250 g (9oz) cream cheese
- 2 tbsp chives finely chopped
- Black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Sliced bread
- Mix the radishes, cream cheese, chives, salt, black pepper and lemon juice together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pile as much of the radish cream cheese mix on the bread as you would like, garnish with some salad cress and enjoy.
- If you prefer a closed sandwich then top each with another slice of bread.
Feel free to add more (or less) cream cheese or radishes to your taste.