A Rainbow Sandwich is an easy vegan sandwich idea packed with flavourful and healthy vegetables and a smokey guacamole dip.
This is a sponsored post done in cooperation with popchips. However, all opinions are my own.
Fun, satisfying and healthy sandwiches packed with colourful veggies and flavourful guacamole? Yes please. (Bonus: Paired with a side of ‘popped,’ not fried crisps. YES please.)
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to jazz up lunchtime eating because sometimes lunch can get a little dull. In between all the things that need to get done to make a food blog run (there are approximately 1 zillion things), I often find myself wanting to grab something easy and not very exciting (and sometimes not very healthy either).
So I decided I needed to get out of this ‘dull food funk’ and come up with a colourful, fun lunch that would satisfy not just my stomach but also my mind.
I am happy to say this lunch project was a success. I came up with a wonderful vegan sandwich idea: a Rainbow Sandwich, which I have enjoyed on 3 occasions since. Rainbow Sandwiches are full of colourful veggies like a rainbow of peppers, beetroot and red cabbage, all slathered with a smokey guacamole that is sooo good.
I didn’t come up with this awesome vegan sandwich idea on my own. Nope. A sandwich this good had to be inspired by something great… and that ‘something great’ is the awesome flavours of popchips.
If you guys haven’t heard of popchips, they’re a California-founded crisp brand that makes ‘popped,’ not fried, crisps. They have tons of flavour but are low in calories, fat and greasiness. (A very good thing because who wants to be weighed down after lunch or a snack?)
They have fun flavours like Smokey Bacon (100% vegan thanks to the spice blend popchips uses), Buffalo Ranch and Crazy Hot… and of course more traditional flavours like Sea Salt and Barbeque.
I was inspired by the smokey flavours of Smokey Bacon (have I mentioned this is vegan?!) and Barbeque popchips when I made these sandwiches. (This inspiration of course took many crisps to come to – tough job I have, I know.) I added smoked paprika to guacamole to make ‘smokey guacamole’ and the delicious smokey flavour carries throughout the Rainbow Sandwiches.
These vegan sandwiches are sooooo good, folks. Soooo good. Just like popchips.
How to Make a Rainbow Sandwich – An Easy Vegan Sandwich Idea
Step 1. There is really nothing to making these vegan sandwiches except for quickly making the smokey guacamole by combining guacamole (from the supermarket or my Homemade Guacamole recipe) with smoked paprika…
Step 2. … and then beginning the sandwich assembly process. Start with 4 slices of bread, slather on smokey guacamole, add your veggies and then the second slice of bread.
Rainbow Sandwich – Tips
- Serve your Rainbow Sandwiches with a side of popchips. They were inspired by popchips so they should be eaten with popchips, right? There are so many fun flavours to choose from.
- Skip the bread for a lighter meal. For a lighter option, instead just eat veggies, smokey guacamole and crisps.
- Rainbow Sandwiches can be made gluten-free. Just use a gluten-free bread.
- They can be made ahead of time or packed for an on-the-go lunch. You can make Rainbow Sandwiches ahead of time or take the veggies, guacamole and bread separately and assemble them at work or wherever you are. (Of course with a side of crisps.)
- Have fun by mixing n’ matching sandwiches. Switch up the types of veggies you add to the halves or add other veggies (like cress, tomatoes, carrots, sprouts and avocado) to some of the sandwich halves before assembling. Mix n’ match halves for a fun and different Rainbow Sandwich.
- Add extra toppings. Pumpkin seeds and crisps are good choices. (Crisps on a sandwich = heaven on earth.)
- Serve with a tasty vegan dessert. Try my Easy Vegan Blueberry Muffins or Peanut Butter Avocado Brownies.
My lunches have been a lot lighter, brighter and more enjoyable lately thanks to Rainbow Sandwiches and popchips. The folks at popchips have recently launched a campaign centred on the idea of ‘enjoy more’ (#enjoymore) — encouraging us to enjoy more at lunch. I can confidently say I’ve been enjoying more at lunch these days and I am sooo happy about it.
If you want to enjoy more at lunch too, make sure to check out popchips for yourself and try their range of healthy ‘popped’ (not fried) crisps.
And if you want more vegan lunch ideas why not check out this Vegan Shepards Pie from Veggie Desserts. Oh and this sandwich goes really, really well with the lovely and vibrant Borscht Soup from Little Sunny Kitchen.
More Vegan Sandwich Ideas
Thank you for reading my Rainbow Sandwich recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Rainbow Sandwich Recipe (Vegan Sandwich Recipe)
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Rainbow Sandwiches! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
- 200 g guacamole
- 1/3 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 slices of bread
- Half red pepper deseeded and sliced
- Half yellow pepper deseeded and sliced
- Half orange pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 large cooked beetroot sliced
- 1/8 small red cabbage finely shredded
- 8 slices of cucumber
- Extra topping 2 tbsp of pumpkin seeds or some cress, crisps, tomatoes
- Make smokey guacamole by mixing the guacamole and smoked paprika.
- Assemble sandwiches starting with 4 slices, smokey guacamole, peppers, etc and top with the second slice of bread.