A few weekends ago we had a garden kind of weekend.
As in sun cream, swim suits, paddling pool, swings, frisbees, balls stuck in trees, picking vegetables from the garden and grilling burgers on the barbeque. All this of course required some serious thirst quenching in the form of some freshly made ice cold raspberry lemonade. Obviously.
And pride of place in the garden was the tiny lemonade stand decorated entirely by my eldest. My youngest was in charge of the money (duplo to you and I). So daddy and I bought lemonade, and then some more and then even more. They made a 100 million thousand and we got to make pretty good friends with the raspberry lemonade.
Fast forward to the evening when the adults came out to play. Barbecued ribs and sweet potatoes, fresh salad and some more raspberry lemonade. With an adult twist. AKA an itty little bit of vodka which kicked up flavour of this refreshing sweet and sour lemonade. Let’s just say it was rather a delightful adult treat.
I predict that this raspberry lemonade will be one of our key summer drinks. And whilst we are at it, I might just be able to take a photo of the lemonade stand servers to add to this post in the future. They did look very cute……
You can easily made this a summer strawberry lemonade recipe or even a blueberry lemonade. It is easily adaptable with whatever fruits you have.
Go. Make. Enjoy.
For the sugar syrup:
- 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) water
For the lemonade:
- 250 ml (1 cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) of the syrup you made earlier
- 175 g fresh or frozen raspberries mashed with a fork
- 1250-1750 ml (5-7 cups) cold water
- Ice lemon slices, raspberries to garnish
- First make the syrup by combining the sugar with the water in a saucepan and put on medium heat till the sugar is dissolved. Swirl the pan occasionally to speed up the process.
- Then let the syrup cool.
- Sieve the pureed raspberries reserving the juice and discarding the pulp.
- In a large jug combine the lemon juice, raspberries and the syrup.
- Mix in 1250-1750ml water depending on how sweet / tart you prefer your lemonade.
- Garnish with lemon slices, raspberries and serve with some ice.