An easy and and quick raw courgette salad with Västerbottensost and toasted almonds. Great for summer brunches and quick weeknight suppers.
Fellow foodies and I had a fun evening whipping up quite a few cheese based dishes – but the one that stayed in my mind was the raw courgette salad completed with shaved Västerbottensost and crunchy toasted almonds. Perfect timing as our courgettes are out in full force. This salad is fresh and different – perfect for summer days, either as part of a picnic, or for supper outside (though I must admit, I’ve been eating it stuck inside in the rain).
Västerbottensost is special – it is a hard cheese with a strong and aromatic flavour (apparently a fluke creation by a dairymaid in love and being distracted), which put me in mind of Pamesan (in its strength and texture) but keeps its own unique flavour. I am looking forward to recreating plenty more dishes at home.
Do try this raw courgette salad with almonds and Västerbottensost.
If you want to try Västerbottensost yourself, you can get some from Ocado, Waitrose and Selfridges, priced at approximately £19.90 per kilo.
Thanks to Västerbottensost for inviting me along to their event and thanks to Glamorous Glutton for letting me use her salad picture. All opinions are my own.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Raw Courgette Salad with Almonds and Västerbottensost! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Raw Courgette Salad with Almonds and Västerbottensost
For the salad:
- 2 medium sized courgettes shaved into thin strips length ways
- 1 large handful of rocket leaves (arugula)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the courgette and salad leaves to a big bowl. Gently mix in the cheese.
- Whisk together the vinegars and oil in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add salad dressing to your taste.
- Arrange salad on a serving plate, scatter with toasted almonds and serve immediately.