I am making up for my lack of duck recipes with this Baharat spiced roast duck served with an orange and pomegranate couscous salad.
It is simple a case of roasting the duck breasts in a fragrant baharat spice blend marinade. Then jazzing up a basic couscous recipe by throwing in herbs, oranges, pistachios, pomegranate in the 10 mins that the duck is resting. Yeap it is as easy as it sounds.
Enjoy this baharat spiced roast duck recipe and do check out my Vietnamese style duck, crunchy vegetables and noodle salad recipe too.
- 2 Gressingham duck breast fillets
- 1/2 tbsp baharat spice blend ( I used Barts)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 130 g (1 cup) couscous
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 large oranges , peeled, pitted and finely chopped
- 25 g (1/4 cup) pistachio chopped
- 2 large spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh chopped herbs
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 200C / 220C / 425F / gas 7. Mix together the duck breasts, baharat spice, salt and oil and leave to marinate for 5 mins. Put the duck breast (skinless side down) into a cold frying pan and fry on medium heat for 6 mins. Quickly turn over the duck breasts and sear for 30 seconds before transferring them to a baking tin. Roast for approximately 10 mins (rare), 15 min (medium) or 18 min (well done). Let the duck rest for 10 mins whilst you make the couscous salad.
- Mix the couscous, salt and water in a bowl, then cover with a plate and let it stand for 5 mins. Then stir it again and cover for another 5 mins. Using a fork fluff up the couscous and add all the rest of the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Thinly slice the duck breasts and serve over the couscous salad.