I have decided I really like oranges. And at the moment it is all about blood red oranges, or rather roasted blood oranges. When I fall in foodie love I go all in. So much so that I spent an entire day testing out six roasted blood orange recipes. Half of them with some roasted asparagus too.
I ignored the gorgeous sunshine outside, the start of the new season of House of Cards, the 25 Facebook messages and all my exercises – all in the name of this lovely roasted citrus recipe.
Mini chef and I donned aprons, and sat down together and cut up some blood oranges and asparagus, drizzled on some olive oil and salt and bung them in the oven. Then we proceeded to sit in front of the oven door basking in gorgeous roasting smells and singing hush little baby. The singing it again, and again, and again. You can get a heck of a lot of hush little babies into a 15 min time frame.
Let’s just say it was worth every single minute. I can’t quite describe to you what roasting the blood oranges does to the resulting juice. Let me just say it is really, really, really good. Try it, preferable over some sweet baked asparagus. Healthy snacking / salad right there for you.
PS I will be bringing you another blood orange recipe or two.
Roasted Blood Orange and Asparagus
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 large bunches of asparagus , woody stems removed
- Olive oil
- Pistachio nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Cut the oranges into segments.
- Place them in a baking tray along with the asparagus, drizzle on some olive oil and season with salt.
- Roast for about 15-18 minutes turning asparagus once.
- Serve the asparagus with some orange segments for squeezing over and some pistachio nuts if using.