As the cold nights draw in, out come my soup pans and with them the need to eat deliciously warming soups. I tend to start with the 10 minutes of effort ‘for a really lick my plate clean’ soups. And this roasted butternut squash soup, made even creamier with coconut and warmed up with cardamom and ginger is a huge favourite. A mish mash of my favourite things really.
It is a healthy recipe that does not sacrifice on taste. Roasting the butternut squash makes a difference. The flavour is deeper and sweeter and complements the spices very well. You can avoid peeling the butternut squash by just cutting it in half, scooping out the seeds and roast it whole. It is easy to tailor this soup with various different spices and vegetables. If you prefer your soup thinner then add in more stock and if you like it thicker then add in a little bit less. To please meat eaters feel free to top with some crispy pancetta.
This is an easy autumn or winter soup that tastes good at any time of the year and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. So here is my roasted butternut squash soup recipe and don’t forget to leave me a comment to tell me what you think.
This is the first recipe in my pantry staple spotlight on butternut squash please be sure to check the others out.
This was entered into the no croutons required contest hosted by tinned tomatoes.
This is an update of an old recipe.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Roasted Butternut Squash Soup With Coconut! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup With Coconut
- 1 approx 800g (28oz) butternut squash
- 2 large onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 750 ml (3 1/4 cup) vegetable stock
- ¾ tsp cardamom or to taste
- 3 tsp grated ginger
- 240 ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Peel the butternut squash and onions, cut into chunks and transfer them to a baking dish.
- Add in the garlic and the vegetable oil, season with salt and mix well.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for up to 40 minutes until they caramelised.
- Do stir vegetables frequently during roasting so that they cook evenly on all sides.
- When vegetables are cooked switch off the oven and keep them warm.
- Heat the stock in a pot until it is boiling.
- Reduce the heat and then add the ginger, the cardamom and roasted vegetables and simmer for about 8 minutes for flavours to develop.
- Switch off heat and allow the soup to cool and then puree with hand blender.
- Then add in coconut milk, mix well and adjust the seasoning.
- Warm soup thoroughly and garnish with coconut milk and or roasted butternut squash seeds before serving.