Eat colour with this refreshing and vibrant roasted carrot and farro salad with a tahini yoghurt dressing.
Have you ever had a Homer Simpson moment? You the moment when you stand there, palm to forehead, thinking I don’t believe I did that.
That is how I was feeling after opening the washing machine and taking out Miss N’s now pinkish, but meant to be white, uniform shirts. I mean, I actually put in the whites, threw in her maroon cardigan, added the detergent, set the temperature for 60 and pressed go. You would have thought that at some point I would have realised what I was doing and stop. But oh no. Cue a lot of face palm movements and a panic filled shopping trip with some rather grumpy kids late on a Sunday afternoon to replace the entire set. I have a feeling that I will be a lot more careful in the future. Doooooooooooh.
What I did get right though is the vibrant colour in this roasted carrot and farro salad with a tahini yoghurt dressing. It is tasty, colourful, packed with flavour and can be mostly prepared ahead by cooking the farro and carrots the day before. I think you could easily sub in some sweet potato for the carrots and add more nuts or seeds as you prefer. And to make it gluten free, sub in some quinoa for the farro.
I hope you make this farro and roasted carrot salad and enjoy every colourful mouthful.
This roasted carrot and farro salad with a tahini yoghurt dressing first appeared in Superfood Summer Vitality issue in 2016.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Roasted Carrot and Farro Salad With A Tahini Yoghurt Dressing! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Roasted Carrot and Farro Salad With A Tahini Yoghurt Dressing
For the carrot and farro salad
- 90 g (3oz) quick cook farro
- 400 g (14 oz) carrots peeled and chopped into batons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 30 g (1 oz) mixed salad leaves
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp walnut pieces
For the tahini yoghurt salad dressing
- 6 tbsp yoghurt
- 1.5 tbsp light tahini
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Cook the farro according to the packet instructions and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Mix the carrots with the olive oil, cumin seeds and salt and transfer to a roasting tray.
- Roast carrots for 30-35 minutes turning half way through, until tender but still with a bit of a bite.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and allow to cool.
- Make the tahini yoghurt dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. Add a little water if the dressing is too thick.
- Mix together the carrots, farro and the rest of the salad ingredients and serve with the tahini yoghurt sauce drizzled on top.