If like me you are lucky to have an abundance of courgettes (zucchinis), because you have eight courgette plants this year even thought you promised yourself you will only have four, then this roasted courgette recipe is one for you. It is quick, super easy and budget friendly way to add some spicy zesty flavour your courgettes. Oh and please also check out this other roasted courgette recipe I have.
I have been meaning to share this roasted courgette salad for over 2 years. My friend J, visiting us on his way back from France, decided to treat us to lunch and whipped this up for us. I did follow him round the kitchen, hanging on his every slice, dice and and wrist turn, as I figured that some of his Leith’s cooking training might rub off on me. It was love at first bite and I made it every Saturday for 2 months, honing it down to the recipe you see today.
The secret to this courgette salad is to let the roasted courgettes marinate in the lemon and chilli salad dressing for at least 30 mins before serving. That and toping the salad with crunchy fried shallots, seconds before serving. The flavours really are simple in this salad but oh so good. PS you can make it with grilled courgettes too. I had a few grilled courgettes left over and threw them in for this particular batch and it worked well.
This recipe is also a guide on how to roast courgettes. Try not to over ‘over’ roast the courgettes as they work best with with a little bit of bite to them. Feel free to roast extra courgettes and keep them in the fridge for a few days. Then serve them stuffed into sandwiches, whizzed up into a dip, with some some pasta and cheese or simply as roasted courgettes.
Here is how to make a roasted courgette salad with lemon, chilli, basil and crispy shallots. Guaranteed to wow any guests at barbeques, picnics and any foodie gathering.
- 4 courgettes
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp mild finely chopped chilli
- 10 basil leaves finely sliced into ribbons
- 3 tbsp crispy fried shallots optional
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 180 C / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6.
- Slice courgettes into thick discs and add to a baking tray.
- Mix in the olive oil and salt and bake in oven for about 20 mins (turning half way through) until courgettes are cooked through but not too soft.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool very slightly.
- Make the salad dressing by mixing together the lemon juice, zest, chilli and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the courgettes and let them marinate for at least 30 mins, mixing half way through.
- Top the salad with the sliced basil and crispy shallots and serve.