Earlier today, I made a ‘ in my dreams’ Christmas wish list just for fun. Well what do you do when you wake up at 5 am and can’t go back to sleep? Make Christmas lists – with which I am completely obsessed at this point in time.
I started out with the easy stuff like the book the Flavour Thesaurus and a mandoline slicer, then on to the slightly bigger stuff like a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II camera lens, a stand mixer in red and a private cooking session with Ottolenghi. Then I got on to the seriously big stuff like a week in Maldives. Yeap, it was an in my dreams list. Luckily my eldest woke up and put a stop to that because who knows what else I may have dreamt up.
Anyway one from one obsession to the next aka I am completely hooked on orange vegetables and fruit.
Remember when I told you that I was a bit obsessed with pumpkin? Which was pretty much straight after I revealed my love for butternut squash. Plus don’t get me started on mangoes, papayas, carrots, oranges, kumquats, sweet potatoes, lentils, etc.
Somewhere in the world there is probably a term for orange food obsessed people. But right here in my kitchen I am going to put it down to just having very good taste.
Since I am equally crazy about coconut it goes without saying that I intend to work my way through every single orange vegetable or fruit and somehow pair these with coconut. So introducing you here to this rather easy roasted pumpkin Thai red curry. Roasting the pumpkin makes it sweeter which works well with the Thai coconut sauce laced with lime. If you like more sauce on your curry then scale up the quantities of the liquids.
This can easily be an alternative Thankgsiving dish or vegetarian / vegan dish at Christmas (without the fish sauce). Your guests will thank you.
Pumpkin pie spice.
Curried pumpkin soup.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Roasted Pumpkin Thai Red Curry! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Roasted Pumpkin Thai Red Curry
- 1 kg of pumpkin peeled, deseeded and chopped into small pieces
- 2.5 tbps oil
- 2 spring onions scallion
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 chilli chopped
- 2-3 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 400 ml coconut milk
- Pinch of dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce omit for vegans / vegetarians and add more lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice or to taste
- Handful of basil or chopped coriander cilantro to top
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 350F / gas 4.
- Whilst the pumpkin is roasting make the Thai curry sauce.
- Heat remaining oil and add in the spring onions, ginger and chilli and fry for 1 min.
- Stir in the curry paste mix and fry for 30 sec until fragrant.
- Then pour in coconut milk and pinch of sugar, bring to boil and then lower and simmer for about 5 mins.
- Add in fish sauce, lime and taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add pumpkin to serving bowl, layer on Thai curry sauce and top with basil and chilli and serve.