To all palates out there, say hello to the newest, freshest, zingiest pesto in town…
AKA roasted red cabbage pesto or according to mini chef purple pesto.
This vibrant coloured pesto tastes as good as it looks. I find that ground almonds, lemon and chilli sauce really enhances the flavour. Somehow these ingredients add to the final taste of the pesto, without taking any of the rich wholesomeness (is that the best way to describe it?) from the red cabbage. One of those 2 + 2 is more than 4 things that you get in cooking.
Of course, the fact that it hasn’t got any cheese makes is suitable for vegans. Something my mother-in-law found out (four children, one married to a vegan, one a vegetarian, one allergic to tomatoes and onions, one doesn’t like aubergine and so on….)
And to those palates that are a little bit unsure about red cabbage – try it – you will like it (or I’ll eat my hat)…
This is the second recipe in the pantry staple spotlight on red cabbage please be sure to check the other recipes out.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Roasted Red Cabbage Pesto! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Roasted Red Cabbage Pesto
- 1/2 head (approx 500g) red cabbage
- 60 ml (1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3-6 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp chilli sauce I used Encona hot pepper sauce
- Pre heat oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4.
- Combine cabbage , 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and roast in oven for up to 20 mins or until cabbage is roasted. Make sure to turn the cabbage at least once so that it cooks evenly on all sides.
- Let cabbage cool and peel garlic.
- Transfer cabbage and garlic into a food processor.
- Add in the ground almonds, garlic, lemon juice and chilli sauce and blend.
- Add in salt and olive oil to taste (I used approx 60ml, 1/4 cup for this but OH preferred more oil in) and blend again to desired consistency.