Sausage Okra Fried Rice is a super easy Sierra Leonean recipe / West African recipe. Suitable for gluten-free diets.
I tend to miss Sierra Leone a lot at this time of the year. As I wrap up warm in front of the wood burner, drinking endless cups of warming chai tea, I daydream about blue skies, sunny days, sandy white beaches, friends, family and good, good food.
There is not much that I can do about the landscape, but I certainly do a lot about the food. I start cooking a lot of Sierra Leonean recipes and other African recipes as well. Currently top of my list is this super easy sausage okra fried rice. It has two of my favorite things, okra and rice, and can be ready in just 25 mins. Perfect weeknight supper right?
This is another one of the quick rice recipes my sisters and I used to whip up for our ‘in the shade of the verandah’ or ‘under the mango tree’ marathon gossip sessions. Along with some fried plantains, ginger beer or ginger and lemon grass iced tea and a few friends thrown in. I soooooo need to travel to Sierra Leone right now.
I hope you make this super easy sausage okra rice recipe and enjoy every mouthful if you do.
Check out my other okra recipes too.
Roast Sweet Potato and Okra Salad.
Sierra Leone flavours – is the spot on my blog where I share both traditional Sierra Leonean recipes and West African fusion recipes.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Okra Sausage Fried Rice - Sierra Leone Flavours! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Okra Sausage Fried Rice - Sierra Leone Flavours
- 160 g (1 cup) quick cook rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 thin gluten-free sausages chipolata, sliced into discs
- 100 g (3.5oz) okra sliced into discs
- 6 spring onions scallions, sliced
- Tamari soy sauce to taste
- Chilli sauce to serve
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions (approx 15 mins) and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and fry the sausages for about 4 mins or until half done.
- Add in okra and spring onions and fry for about 4 mins stirring a few times whist frying.
- When the okra is cooked, add in the cooled rice and tamari soy sauce to taste and stir fry till the rice is warmed through.
- Serve with some chilli sauce.
I’ve been troubled for several days with this topic. majorsite, But by chance looking at your post solved my problem! I will leave my blog, so when would you like to visit it?