These Beghrir / Baghrir aka Moroccan pancakes topped with maple and nutmeg roasted plantains make a great breakfast. And best of all they are suitable for vegans and refined sugar-free.
I think I told you before how much we eat pancakes in this house right? But incase you missed it – we eat them A LOT. Three times a week minimum. So I am always looking for ways to jazz up our pancakes and move away that some same old same old. Enter these Beghrir semolina pancakes topped with maple and nutmeg roasted plantain. A fusion of Moroccan and Sierra Leonean cuisines.
What are beghrir or baghrir
Beghrir or baghrir, are very popular breakfast food in Morocco. These are seriously spongy airy Moroccan pancakes made with semolina. The yeasty batter ends up in thick crepe-like pancakes with hundreds of air bubbles on the top of each pancake as it cooks. These unique pancakes are full of hundreds of holes, which are the perfect vessel for carrying a whole load of different flavours both sweet and savoury.
How to make Beghrir
The yeasty Beghrir or Baghrir Moroccan pancake batter is easy to whip up. All you do is place the ingredients for the pancake into the blender and blend into a batter. Most pancakes are really flexible, ie you can measure ingredients informally and they will still work. With these, you need to get the measurements right so that the batter is the right consistency for the bubbles to work.
After mixing the batter, simply decant into a bowl and cover. Then you have all the fun waiting to see it bubble up to double its size before frying the pancakes.
To cook the Beghrir
Step 1. Heat a frying pan over medium heat, lightly brush on a bit of oil using a silicon brush.
Step 2. Add ladles of the Baghrir batter to the frying pan. You don’t need to swirl the batter just let the batter spread out for itself.
Step 3. Cook the pancake for 2 mins and keep an eye out as the bubble start appearing on the surface. You should cook it till the surface is dry and not sticky when touched.
Tip. In Morocco the pancakes are not flipped, instead, they would be transferred on to a clean plate and set aside to cool, whilst the rest of the batter is cooked.
Me, well I like it flipped and cooked for a min so that the top is slightly crispy. You can try both ways and see what you think.
Maple roasted plantains
The maple roasted nutmegy plantains, on the other hand, were one of my staple Sierra Leone style breakfasts. Simply cube the plantains, ad the flavourings and bake until done. The nutmeg and plantain flavours really complement each other and are enhanced when caramelized with the maple syrup. Finger-licking good.
A word about these plantains – they need to be served warm. Do feel free to prepare them beforehand and simply warm them up in the oven before serving.
These Beghrir pancakes topped with maple and nutmeg roasted plantain are also dairy-free, refined sugar-free and suitable for vegans. I have got your back with the perfect breakfast or snack (and film night suppers when watching Casablanca).
More Pancake Recipes
Oh and if you need more pancake recipes especially for pancake day then how about these Keto Pancakes, Polish apple pancakes from Little Sunny Kitchen and these Protein Pancakes from the Diabetes Strong.
So here is how to make Easy Beghrir Moroccan Semolina Pancakes with Maple Nutmeg Roasted Plantains. Please do try it and if you do make it, then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Post updated Jan 2018.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Beghrir or Baghrir Moroccan Pancake (Semolina Pancakes) with Maple And Nutmeg Roasted Plantain - African Flavours (Vegan)! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Beghrir or Baghrir Moroccan Pancake (Semolina Pancakes) with Maple And Nutmeg Roasted Plantain - African Flavours (Vegan)
For the semolina pancakes
- 400 g (14oz) fine semolina
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp dried fast acting yeast
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 750 ml (3 cups) lukewarm water
For the maple roasted plantains:
- 2 plantains peeled and cut into cubes
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Place everything to make the pancakes into a blender and blend for about 30 secs until it forms a smooth batter.
- Pour the pancake batter into a bowl, cover and keep in a warm place for about 45 mins until it has doubled in size and is frothy.
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4 and lightly oil a lined baking tray.
- Add the plantain cubes, oil, nutmeg and salt into a bowl and mix until the plantains are well coated.
- Transfer the plantain cubes to the baking tray place in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 mins or until done. Make sure to turn the plantain cubes half way through cooking.
- When done take the plantains out of the oven, mix in the maple syrup and return to the oven for a further 6 mins.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium heat, lightly brush on a bit of oil using a silicon brush and add ladles of the batter to the frying pan.
- Cook the pancakes for about 2 mins till bubble appear on the top of the pancakes, then turn them over and cook for a further 2 mins until they are cooked through and golden.
- Repeat with the remaining batter until all the pancakes are cooked.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the plantains and drizzled with extra maple syrup.
Thank you for reading my baghrir recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Vapi Call Girls Service
What can be most rejuvenating than hooking up with a sizzling Bangalore call girl to experience incredible joy and fun? If dating a model call girl is at the top of your mind, I can be your best erotic partner. I will satiate your sexual lust and fulfill any fantasy to the highest satisfaction. Feel free to call and book my services now.
Nos encanta tu blog y encontramos que casi todas tus publicaciones Avellaneda escorts son exactamente lo que estoy buscando.