I am beyond excited to bring you this Sheet Pan Baked Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato recipe. Really it is one of my favourite ever recipes I’ve developed. I can see endless variations of this in my and your near future.
Don’t you agree that sheet pan recipes are just the best thing ever? Being able to mix everything together in one pan, throw it in the oven and hey presto you end up with a complete meal. With minimal prep and almost zero washing up to boot, I hear you all saying YES PLEASE to that.
This Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato is full of all the good stuff. Stuff you already have around. We got the juicy chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and peppers. But here comes the magic; they are lifted up with cinnamon, allspice and citrus. BEST. COMBINATION. EVER.
Guys this recipe is easy to make. You can definitely double or triple it to feed a hungry crowd; you’re only limited by the number of sheet pans and oven space you have. Oh and the leftovers, yes the leftovers, can I get a meal prep and easy weeknight supper YEAH?
Baked Chicken Thighs Tools
KITCHEN TOOLS, UTENSILS & APPLIANCES NEEDED
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my disclosure.
Here are some of the items you will need to make this recipe.
How To Make Sheet Pan Baked Chicken Thighs And Sweet Potatoes.
One pan way – In its simplest form, you would
Step 1. Mix the ingredients together on a sheet pan.
Step 2. Bake in a preheated oven till the chicken is cooked through.
Step 3. Remove from the oven and serve.
The more time way – Should you have more time and wish to, then you could
- First, marinate the chicken for 30 mins.
- Then add the veggies to the marinated chicken
- Transfer to your sheet pan and bake away.
Both ways are pretty easy although one takes slightly more prep work.
Baked Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato Tips
- Make sure to pat your chicken thighs dry as any excess moisture can dilute the flavour of the seasoning.
- Make sure to cut veggies bigger than you normally would as they are going to take a bit of time in the oven. Smaller cut veggies would burn.
- This one pan chicken recipe uses skin on and bone-in chicken thighs as these have the most flavour. You can use skinless thighs if you prefer. Boneless thighs will need about 7-10 mins less cooking time (which means you will have to cut your veggies smaller).
What Temperature Do You Cook Baked Chicken Thighs
This depends on you and what else you are cooking. I have baked chicken thighs at anywhere form 180C / 350F to 220C /4325F. The higher the temperature the less time these will take to cook. This recipe bakes them at 220 C / 425F for 30-35 mins and still keeps them juicy inside but crispy skin on the outside.
Can You Bake Chicken Thighs From Frozen
Yes you can absolutely bake chicken thigs from frozen but I don’t recommend you do that for this recipe for two reasons. One, you would have to bake the chicken thighs for 50 percent longer which result in burnt vegetables.
And secondly, you would not be able to add all the lovely spices to the frozen chicken. A way round this would be to cook the veggies separately from the frozen chicken and then add them together at the end. You should always check the internal temperature of your chicken(using a meat thermometer) to make sure they’re safe to eat (meat is done when the internal temperature reaches at least 74C (165 F)), but it’s especially important to do so when cooking from frozen.
Baked Chicken Thighs with Lemon
You can certainly make baked chicken thighs with lemon instead. Simple swap both clementines for one sliced lemon. You may need to add a little honey to counteract the sharpness of the lemon.
One Pan Chicken Substitutions
- Feel Free to substitute spices – eg you try using cumin, coriander or curry for example
- Oranges, satsumas and tangerines can all be used instead of clementines.
- Chicken drumsticks can be used instead of chicken thighs.
Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato Meal Planning
Need inspiration for meal planning? I have got you covered
Chicken Tacos. Why not shred the chicken thighs and Chicken Tacos.
Chicken Salad. Shred and make a chicken salad.
Lettuce Wraps. Add cut chicken to chicken lettuce wraps.
You can also try this easy Chilli Chicken Recipes.
Other Sheet Pan Recipes
Quick and Easy Meals
If you are looking for another quick and easy meal then why not try these Zucchini and Shrimp Foil Packs.
Thank you for reading my Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for visiting Recipes from a Pantry, UK food blog.
**This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Get The Sheet Pan Baked Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato Recipe
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Sheet Pan Baked Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Sheet Pan Baked Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potato
- 6 chicken thighs skin on and bone in
- 3 large sweet potatoes cut into wedges
- 3 peppers bell deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 red onion peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 clementines cut in slices can be satsumas or tangerines too
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a clementine
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp ground all spice
- Ground black pepper
The easy peasy way:
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 200C / 220 C / 425F / Gas 8 and lightly oil a rimmed sheet pan.
- Add all the ingredients to the sheet pan and mix.
- Add to the oven and bake for 30-35 mins until chicken is cooked through and the veggies are starting to get caramelised. Please check your chicken temperature which should be at least 74C (165F)but it's especially important to do so when cooking from frozen.
The you have more time way:
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a non-reactive bowl, add the chicken in and let marinate for about 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 200C / 220 C / 425F / Gas 8 and lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the rest of the tray bake ingredients to the chicken and mix and transfer to the prepared sheet pan.
- Add to the oven and bake for 30-35 mins until chicken is cooked through and the veggies are starting to get caramelised.