Hey folks. Three important things.
1. Slow cooking. Why on earth do I not slow cook more in the summer? Seriously why not? How perfect is it to be able to throw everything into the slow cooker, go off and have some summery fun and a few hours later sit down to a great meal.
2. Spices. Spices transform chicken and then some. I have to work rather hard to convince Freddy to eat chicken as he tends to find it bland. Recently allspice (also known as pimento) has taken care of that problem and we are one happy household.
3. Slow cook and spiced chicken = result. Like this slow cooker allspice, orange and lemon chicken served with a lemon and herb couscous. I actually made this slow cooked chicken in a Multicooker Great one pot cooking as first I fried the chicken in the Multicooker before adding in the orange juice and slow cooking it away for 4 hours. Minimal washing up is a good thing right?
Here is my slow cooked slow cooker orange, lemon and allspice chicken. Hope you like it as much as Freddy does. (And if you love it and are craving another chicken recipe, try my Parmesan Crusted Chicken recipe.)
Thank you for reading my slow cooked slow cooker orange, lemon and allspice chicken recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Here is how to make slow cooked slow cooker orange, lemon and allspice chicken. Please do try it and if you do make it then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
- 6 medium chicken thighs skin on
- 1.5 tsp allspice (divided)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of one orange
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 lemon sliced
- 2 slices of orange
- 6 sprigs thyme
- Ground black pepper
- Season the chicken with 3/4 tsp allspice and salt.
Add the oil to the Multicooker, select the fry programme and set for 10 mins.
- Brown the chicken on all sides during the 10 mins.
- When the fry programme finishes, cancel the keep warm setting, select slow cook and set the time for 4 hrs.
- Add the all the other ingredients to the pot cover and cook.
- Remove the chicken and sauces from the slow cooker when done and serve with a lemon couscous.
If your chicken thighs are a bit bigger then you might need an extra couple of hours slow cooking. Feel free to increase the allspice to your taste.