You will love this easy West African Slow Cooker Duck and Plantain Curry recipe. Slow cooked savory duck melded with the sweet flavours of sweet potato and plantain. What more could you ask for in a recipe? Recipe suitable for Gluten-Free diets.
I have been at it with the plantain recipes again. Blame another successful Brixton market shopping trip. So folks, meet my West African inspired slow cooked duck, sweet potato and plantain curry.
Why You are Going to Loooove This West African Slow Cooker Duck and Plantain Curry
Plantain curry? Duck? Sweet potatoes? Aromatic spices? This curry has all my favourite things in one big melting pot.
Seriously, think spice hit from the ginger, cardamom and curry, rich flavour from the duck and coconut milk and Sierra Leonean sweetness from the sweet potato and plantain.
And after only a little bit of work at the start, you simply throw everything into the slow cooker set it to slow cook and 4 hrs later you plate yourself a fragrant bowl of West African Slow Cooker Duck and Plantain Curry. Excuse me whilst I run off to have another spoonful.
Tips for Making West African Slow Cooker Duck and Plantain Curry
Now a word or two about this scrummy West African Slow Cooker Duck and Plantain Curry.
1. Brown the meat and fry the onions before cooking. Although this step is not necessary it really does lock in that extra bit of flavour and makes all the difference.
2. Make it the day before you want to eat it and let the flavours meld overnight. It tastes sooooooooooooo much better the next day.
Thank you for reading my West African Slow Cooker Duck and Plantain Curry recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Slow Cooked Duck and Plantain Curry - Sierra Leone Flavours! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Slow Cooked Duck and Plantain Curry - Sierra Leone Flavours
For the duck:
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the curry:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato chopped into 1.5cm cubes
- Chopped scotch bonnet chilli to taste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 4 cardamom pods split
- 1 jumbo maggi cube crumbled
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 plantain peeled and cut into discs
- Combine oil and spices, mix in the duck and let marinate for 15 mins.
- Heat oil in skillet, when the oil is hot, brown the meat on all sides over medium heat, remove and set aside.
- Add the onions and peppers to the skillet and fry for about 5 mins until soft.
- Then add in the sweet potato, chilli, garlic, ginger and spices and fry for a few minutes
- Transfer everything to the slow cooker function and set the timer for four hours.
- Add the meat to the mix along with the maggi cube, coconut milk and water, mix well, cover and cook for 4 hrs.
- Add in the plantain after 2hrs and cook until the programme finishes, adjust seasoning before serving with some rice or keep for a day before serving.