It’s soup season. I define soup season as any time outside swimming pool season. Too cold for a swim? Eat some soup to warm yourself up because it must be freezing outside. Probably snowing, too.
With such a lengthy soup season, it’s important to be prepared with many soup recipes to choose from. I’d eat a new soup every day during soup season if I could, which is why I often find myself dreaming up new soup recipes in the kitchen.
The other day, I spotted a can of black-eyed beans in my pantry. Confession time: it was actually four cans. I probably shouldn’t even tell you how many cans of beans and tomatoes I have in my pantry because it’s a little embarrassing.
Four cans may not actually be the truth, but let’s go with that number because it sounds like the number of cans of black-eyed beans a reasonable person would have in their pantry. (And I am very reasonable.)
Four cans of black-eyed beans? Let’s make a soup.
Not just any soup. A quick soup and an easy soup. I had an afternoon full of work and no time to tend to said soup.
Enter: the Multicooker Redmond with its easy and convenient Slowcooker option. It’s one of my most-used kitchen gadgets during soup season. All the other 43 programme come in handy too. (Christmas gift anyone?) Instead of spending time waiting for my soup (Spicy Slowcooker Bean Soup) to boil and simmer, I whizzed through a few prep steps and then put it in the Multicooker for 3.5-4 hrs.
Open the Multicooker and supper is served. Spicy Slowcooker Bean Soup is fragrant and warming – perfect for soup season.
How to Use a Slowcooker to Make Spicy Slowcooker Bean Soup
- Making Spicy Slowcooker Bean Soup is easy peasy.
- Sautée onions and peppers in a pan with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 mins until the onions and peppers soften.
- Stir in garlic and fry for 30 secs until fragrant. Then mix in your spices: cumin, coriander, cardamom, chilli and cornflour. Mix until onion mix is well-coated.
- Place the spiced onion mix in your slowcooker, followed by the vegetable stock.
- Next goes in your beans and sweetcorn.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 3.5-4 hrs.
- That’s it – you’re done.
- Serve your easy slowcooker soup with lime slices and cress.
- When you’re done eating, celebrate soup season and slowcookers. (Balloons optional but highly recommended.)
No Slowcooker? You Can Still Make Spicy Slowcooker Bean Soup
Non-slowcooker peeps: You can still make this soup. Add the hot stock straight into the pan after step 2, followed by the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 mins before serving.
Spicy Vegan Soup and Spicy Vegetarian Soup
Vegan and vegetarian peeps: Spicy Slowcooker Bean Soup makes a perfect spicy vegan soup or spicy vegetarian soup and it’s one I plan to serve to my veggie friends this holiday season. The four cans of black-eyed beans give it plenty of protein and will keep you full for hours.
More Soup Recipes
So here is how to make Slowcooker Bean Soup, Please do try it and if you do make it, then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Thank you for reading my slowcooker bean soup recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
This post is sponsored.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions finely diced
- 4 spring onion finely sliced
- 2 peppers deseeded and finely diced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 0.75 tsp ground cardamom
- 6 tbsp corn flour
- 1.5 l vegetable stock hot
- 400 g X 4 tins black-eye beans drained and rinsed
- 400 g frozen sweetcorn
- Ground black pepper
- Garnishes – limes and cress
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and peppers and sautée for about 5 mins till softened.
- Stir in the garlic and fry for 30 secs until fragrant then mix in the cumin, coriander, cardamom, chilli and cornflour and mix until the onion mix is all coated.
- Add the spiced onion mix into the slow cooker followed by the vegetable stock.
- Then add the beans and sweetcorn, stir, cover and cook on high heat for 3.5-4hrs.
- Season well before serving topped with and lime slices and cress.
- If you would prefer to make a non- slow cooker version add the hot stock straight into the pan after step 2, followed by the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 mins before serving.