Question – what would Bintu’s alternative take on the traditional spiced Easter biscuits involve?
Would it involve orange zest – like in these orange spiced almond muffins.
Would it have a little bit of red in it – she is obsessed with all things red after all.
Cardamom? Coconut? Rice? – bet if she can work these in she will.
Of course I am working on cardamom and coconut versions of these. But for this Easter, it is all about orange zest and cranberries. Because I am a fan of speckly biscuits, I add the cranberries into the food processor so that they got chopped to ity bity bits. Just the way I like them. If you prefer them whole, then take the biscuit dough out of the food processor just before adding them in.
Both mini chefs love help making these – though I am not sure if it to do with pressing start and stop on the food processor (eldest), and rolling the dough (both). But they are happy and I am happy and we got Easter covered.
So we will be celebrate Easter 2014 with these orange spiced cranberry Easter biscuits. How about you?
Spiced Easter Biscuits
- 220 g plain flour
- 110 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 45 g cranberries
- 1 egg
- Pre heat the oven to fan 140C / 160C / 320F / gas 3 and line a baking tray.
- Add the flour and butter to a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Then add in the sugar, baking powder, spices, orange zest and cranberries and process till mixed.
- Add in the egg and pulse for a few seconds until the mixture forms into a dough.
- Roll the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm and then cut into your desired cookie shapes.
- Bake for about 15-18 mins until biscuits are golden.