Oh I am cooooooooooold. So – roaring hot kitchen fire – tick, thick red woolly socks – tick, bottomless supply of milky tea – tick, perfect spiced ginger cake slices to go with said tea – tick, tick, tick.
And easy ginger cakes are particularly welcome when quickly whipped up as a joint family effort – Miss M opened and poured out the ginger cake mix, I was the designated wet ingredient measurer outer and her big sister was the designated cake tin greaser and co-cake bowl licker outer. A few minutes later we had a ginger cake in the oven and we could settle down to the job of warming ourselves by the fire whilst counting down the minutes to cake time.
This is me continuing to team up with Betty Crocker on their #ICAKEYOU campaign. Basically, the campaign is all about getting people to bake and gift lovely cakes for special occasions throughout the year. And Betty Crocker have got you covered for some easy peasy baking with their range of cake mixes and decadent, out of the tube, ready to use icing.
And this exact same spiced ginger cake recipe is what we are going to be baking for our Halloween party for all the cousins. Although we might have to test it out a few more times before the party to really, really, really make sure…….
This post is sponsored. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to continue cooking up great recipes for you. All opinions are my own.
Spiced Ginger Cake #ICAKEYOU
- 425 g Betty Crocker spiced ginger cake mix
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) water
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tub of Betty Crocker cream cheese style icing
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas mark 4 and grease two 20cm / 8 inch cake tins.
- Combine the cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs in a large bowl and whisk for two mins until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the cake mix evenly between both cake tins and bake for 24-28 minutes until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tins before turning the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread half the cream cheese icing on the top of one cake, place the second cake on top and spread the rest of the icing on top.