Roasted cashew nuts are one of the easiest and quickest snacks to throw together for entertaining. They can be sweet or savoury, spicy or herby or a combination of these if you fancy.
Believe me when I say it is such fun coming up with versions of roasted cashews to go with themed film nights. Anyone who can give me a tip on what flavours would go with Breakfast at Tiffany’s will be my friend forever.
I tend to make this spicy version of roasted cashews as OH prefers spice to sweet. And they smell particularly delicious as guests walk in to an ice-cold drink. Just make sure that you have enough as the bowl tends to empty as fast as you can fill it.
Ways to make roasted cashew nuts
There are two ways to make roasted cashew nuts. The first way is dry roasting them in a frying pan. You dry roast them in a pan over low heat turning the frequently so that they don’t burn.
This method quicker than the oven method and I tend to use it when cooking for myself or when wanting a quick snack. You will end up with a few ‘charred’ marks where the nuts are in contact with the pan, which in my view adds that extra flavour to the nuts.
The second way is to roast tem in the oven which you can see in more detail below. This is the method I use when entertaining guests.
How to make roasted cashew nuts
Roasting cashew nuts, whilst not necessary, makes them go from good to a deepe,r richer, nuttier flavour. So definitely try not to skip this step.
- Preheat the oven to 140C /160C / 325F /Gas 3.
- Season the nuts with herb and spices if you are using.
- Spread the cashew nut in a single layer on the roasting tray.
- Roast them for 12-15 min, stirring them twice during that time.
- Then transfer them in a single layer to a cool plate and let them cool down for about 15 mins as they get crunchier the cooler the get
Flavouring roast cashews
The flavours you choose depend on what you are aiming for or what you like. The simplest flavouring is salt. Everyone pretty much likes salt so use that as a starting point
For savoury roast cashews, you can use any combination of garlic, chilli, ground spices like paprika, curry, cumin, allspice and black pepper, herbs like mixed herbs or more individual ones like rosemary and thyme and even citrus zest.
Flavoured oils are also a good with cashew nuts, but you would only need to add a little bit as the cashew nuts already have their own oils.
You can also have a sweeter more dessert version which can include honey or maple syrup, white or brown sugar, egg whites to add an airy golden crunch, vanilla, sweet warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom, and treat like shredded coconut or sesame seeds.
Basically, if you like it, put it on the cashew nuts and try it.
Oh and don’t hesitate to roast double the quantity of cashews and keep some back for yourself to munch on once those lovely guests have all left. You will need them after all that hard entertaining you have just done =D.
Other roasted cashew nut recipes.
`if you like roasted nuts then you might want to try these other recipes.
Here is how to make roasted cashew nuts.
So here is how to make roasted cashew nuts. Please do try them and if you do make this, then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
Thank you for reading my roasted cashew nuts recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Spicy Roasted Cashew Nuts
- 100 g (1 cup) raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander cilantro
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp oil
- Pre-heat oven to fan assisted 140C /160C / 325F /Gas 3.
- Line a roasting tray with baking parchment.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Spread out spiced cashews in a single layer on the roasting tray.
- Roast for about 15 min turning them twice to ensure they are evenly roasted
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Now try very hard to keep your hands off them till the guest arrive.
- Serve and enjoy.