A spring onion and bacon cornbread recipe that is great for bonfires and barbeques (collaborative post).
So, I live in a cottage in the middle of a farm surrounded by lots and lots of fields. And even more woods.
In the winter, this means that the African in me really feels the cold. So playing outside in the rain and wind rather loses its appeal. Sitting in front of a roaring stove on the other hand is my idea of heaven.
As spring starts and slowly turns into summer, it is a whole different ball game; and means flowers and games, tractor rides and climbing our very own magic faraway trees, hide and seek in the oil-seed rape and visits to that old ropey swing, puddle jumping, daytime hideouts and camping nights.
It also means bonfires. Lots and lots and lots of bonfires. With all our friends. We make it a game to race through the woods and bring back as many dry little twigs as we can find. Then adults go off and get the big logs.
We gather round, catch up on all the goss and play games, as we cook our spiesbraten (meat on sticks) over the bonfire alongside warming bowls of chilli dipped in crusty cornbread. I have been making my standard cornbread recipe for a very long time – because we like it and because it is quick and easy to make. This year though, I want it to be different.
So enter my spring onion and bacon cornbread, made with home grown spring onions and the very tasty British smoked back bacon from spoiltpig. So good that I even made a quick video about it. What do you think?
Do pop over to the spoiltpig site to find out more about their outdoor reared, high quality bacon, which is available in stores nationwide.
This post is in collaboration with spoiltpig. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to continue cooking up great recipes for you. All opinions are my own.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Spring Onion and Bacon Cornbread! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Spring Onion and Bacon Cornbread
- 240 g (1.3 cups) coarse polenta
- 120 g (1 cup) plain flour 1 cup
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 300 ml (1.3 cups) buttermilk
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 190C / 210C / 400F / gas 6 and put in a 9 inch cast iron skillet to heat up.
- Add the polenta, flour, baking powder, salt and sodium bicarbornate in a large bowl and mix.
- Stir in the buttermilk, butter and eggs until combined, before adding in the bacon and spring onions.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, lightly oil it and reduce the oven temperature to fan-assisted 170C / 190C / 375F/ gas 5.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet, smooth it, transfer to the hot oven and bake for 25 mins.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Please pin me :