I think I am head over belly in love with galettes. Which means you get this roasted onion and sweet potato galette that was my breakfast and lunch in one.
Why do I like them?
Think pastry that is easy to make (thank you food processor) and even easier to shape – aka free form. The more rustic looking the galette ends up, the better. If that is not enough to convince you then think endless topping combinations from simple things like apple slices to roasted vegetables. Plus now that it is getting colder outside all that folding and pastry glazing keeps the kiddoes entertained for a little while.
Me thinks I will be making a gazillion galettes and of course sharing a few of them with you.
Are you ready?
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Red Onion, Feta and Sweet Potato Galette! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Red Onion, Feta and Sweet Potato Galette
For the pastry:
- 175 g (6 1/4 oz) flour
- 115 g (4oz) cold butter cubed
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs optional
- 2-3 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 egg beaten
Make the galette dough.
- Add the flour, butter, salt and mixed herbs into the smaller bowl of your food processor and whiz for a minute until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then add in 2 tbsp of ice cold water and process again until the dough forms a ball. You might need to add another tbsp of water. Form dough into a disk shape, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hr.
Roast the vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4. Add sweet potato to one half of the baking tray and the onion to the other half. You need to keep them separate, as you will remove the onion earlier than the sweet potato. Drizzle on some olive oil and salt, mix well and roast the vegetables for about 15 mins for the onion and 20 mins for the sweet potato till they are almost done but still have some bite to them.
Assemble and bake the galette.
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6. Line a baking tray with some baking parchment. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 inch circle. If you want you can trim the edges. Transfer the dough on to the baking tray.
- Add the sweet potato and onion mix onto the middle of the galette leaving a couple of inches clear for the folds. Drizzle on the balsamic vinegar and the sprinkle on the cheese and herbs. Fold the dough over the sweet potato mix pleating as necessary. Brush the edge of the galette with the egg.
- Bake the galette for between 25 -30 mins until the crust is golden brown. Serve with a green salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.