This is not your regular Tater Tot Casserole recipe! This version is lightened up a bit by swapping canned cream soup for greek yogurt, and the addition of bacon and crisp cornflakes kicks up the flavor and crunch. Your family will request this easy and flavorful dinner casserole week after week.
Finding meals that are easy and quick to make can be tricky. Finding healthy meals that are also kid pleasers can be even more tricky. But this tater tot casserole checks all of the boxes and it’s super simple to make too!
Yeap, this tater tot hotdish is loaded with crunchy tatertots, seasoned beef, a good serving of veggies and cheese. And you can assemble the casserole, bake it and have dinner on the table in under 45 minutes. #winningatdinner
Why You’ll Love It
- It’s kid-approved. This casserole has potatoes and cheese. What kid wouldn’t love that?
- It’s healthier than traditional tater tot casserole. Using plain Greek yogurt instead of canned cream soup makes this recipe is lighter.
- The veggies are “hidden.” This weeknight casserole is loaded with peas and corn but they are “hidden” under layers of potatoes and cheese.
- It’s quick to make. Browning the beef only takes a few minutes then assemble and bake for just 30 minutes.
How To Make Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 205 C.
- Brown the ground beef until no longer pink.
- Combine drained beef with greek yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and spread it into a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Top with veggies, cheese, and tatertots.
- Finish with a layer of crunchy bacon and cornflakes before baking for 30 minutes.
Best Tater Tot Casserole Tips
- Swap out the ground beef for your favorite ground meat. Ground turkey makes a tasty and healthy alternative.
- This recipe calls for corn and peas, but feel free to swap them out for what you have on hand. Green beans or carrots would be tasty as well.
- Toss in some diced onion or bell pepper when browning the meat for added flavor and more veggies.
- Be sure to use a deep casserole dish because each layer of this casserole is pretty substantial.
Questions You May Have
What kind of greek yogurt should I use? For this recipe, you will want to use plain unflavored Greek yogurt. Vanilla yogurt has sugar and flavorings added to it that would not compliment this recipe very well.
Do I have to use ground beef? I usually have several packages of ground beef in the freezer, but you could use any ground meat in place of the beef. No matter which meat you chose be sure to drain it well before mixing with the seasonings and yogurt.
Can I freeze this tater tot casserole? Absolutely! It is soooo easy to double or even triple this recipe, which means you can cook once and eat several times. Prepare the casserole as directed, then cover with plastic wrap and a layer of foil before freezing.
You can freeze this in a casserole dish, but disposable aluminum pans are convenient and inexpensive. To bake, place the frozen casserole in the oven and bake at 350 for about an hour or until hot all the way through. Use the frozen casserole within four months.
Is Tater Tot Hotdish budget-friendly? Chance are you have most of these casserole ingredients in your pantry already. Ground meat and tater tots are both fairly inexpensive and filling so they offer a lot of substance. This recipe makes a good casserole so, depending on the size of your family, you will likely have leftovers for lunch or another meal!
Can I use canned veggies? We like the fresh flavor of frozen veggies and always have them on hand. If you prefer to use canned veggies be sure to drain them well before adding to the casserole dish.
What to Serve with Tater Tot Casserole
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Easy Squash Casserole.
- Crockpot Spaghetti Casserole.
- Baked French Toast Casserole.
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes.
Thank you for reading my Easy Tater Tot Casserole recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Get the Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe:
Don’t forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Tater Tot Casserole! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb (454g) lean ground beef
- 1 32 oz bag (907g) frozen tater tots
- 3/4 cup (190g) Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup (90g) frozen corn
- 1/2 cup (75g) frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) grated cheddar cheese divided
- 2 slices bacon extra crispy and crumbled
- 1 cup (25g) corn flakes crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 F / 205 C.
- Grease a deep dish casserole pan with spray.
- On medium high, heat oil.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain the fat.
- Add greek yogurt, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Pour beef mixture into the casserole dish and spread evenly throughout the pan.
- Add the frozen corn and peas on top.
- Sprinkle on 1 cup of cheddar cheese, then place the tater tots on top.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, bacon, and corn flakes.
- Bake for 30 minutes.