My love for celebrating Chinese New Year stems from when I first met Freddy.
He used to whisk me away for long lunches to a tiny Chinese restaurant and we bonded over chow mein, crispy pork and rice and Jasmine tea. He (and the food) obviously did something right as a gazillion years later we are still together. So of course I have to do something to celebrate this annually.
So this year I am serving up a banquet of vegetable chow mein, sweet chilli trout and lentil salad and Thai chilli coleslaw amongst other things. And to make life easier, I will be using a whole host of stir fry sauces, straight to wok noodles and condiments from Amoy. Great to be able to spend less time cooking and more time eating and hanging with the family.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Quick Vegetable Chow Mein Recipe! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Quick Vegetable Chow Mein Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 g (3.5oz) baby sweet corn sliced
- 100 g (3.5oz) mangetout trimmed
- 100 g (3.5oz) baby leaf greens finely shredded
- 100 g (3.5oz) bean sprouts
- 1 two pack Amoy Straight To Wok medium noodles (300g, 10.5oz)
- 1 sachet Amoy Chow Mein Stir Fry Sauce
- Amoy light soy sauce to taste
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Stir fry the baby sweet corn and mangetout for 1 min.
- Then add in the baby leaf green and bean sprouts and stir fry until greens are wilted.
- Add in the noodles and chow mein sauce and stir fry for a couple of mins.
- Add soy sauce to taste and then serve.
Chinese New year falls on the 19th of February this year and it is the year of the Wood Sheep. People believed that those born under this sign are going to have a good year with plenty of luck and opportunities ahead. Lucky, lucky you if this is your year.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Thai Chilli Trout and Lentil Salad Recipe! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Thai Chilli Trout and Lentil Salad Recipe
- Thai chilli puy lentils salad for Amoy
- 150 g (5.5oz) puy lentils rinsed
- 600 ml (2.5 cups) stock
- 200 g (7oz) cooked trout flaked
- 1 red (bell) pepper deseeded and cut into small cubes
- 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 spring onions (scallions) sliced
- 60 g (20z) rocket leaves
- 30 g (1oz) fresh coriander chopped
- 1 sachet Amoy sweet Thai chilli sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Amoy light soy sauce
- Add lentils and stock to a pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and let cook for between 25-30 mins until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside to cool for a bit.
- Transfer lentils to a salad bowl and add all the other ingredients, mix well and set aside for an hour to allow the flavours to develop before serving.
Thanks to Amoy for sending me a huge hamper full of their products and for a supermarket voucher to create my Chinese New Year banquet. All opinions are my own.