Autumn is the perfect time to try some of this warming Thai curry coconut beetroot soup. Yeap, you heard that right. Thai curry + coconut + beetroot soup.
The first time I ate this soup I did so out of politeness. I was at a supper party and the hostess had made sooooooo much effort that I really just had to have some. OH had caught my look and had wandered over to me so that I could sneakily pass him my soup bowl when no one was looking. He is rather sweet that way. I clearly remember that first spoonful and that instant conversion from my long term ‘I don’t see why beetroot needs to exist’ mentality.
Don’t get me wrong I am not saying that beetroot is the next best thing. All I am saying is that I am more willing to try beetroot in various other recipes. Especially if these recipes involve coconut or chocolate cake.
This recipe is from Sarah Ravens Food for Friends and Family which is a cook book worth adding to your collection with 400 recipes set out according to the seasons. And it did convert anti beetroot me. So there you go
This soup rocks. Try it.
Here are some other soups you might like.
Roasted butternut squash with coconut.
Curried pumpkin soup.
Thai Coconut Beetroot Soup
- 500 g beetroot
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1-3 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice to taste
- Chopped herbs optional
- Remove the leafy parts of the beetroot. Do not trim the roots so that it does not bleed
- Add the beetroot to a pot, cover with plenty of water, bring to the boil and then simmer until tender (between 45-60 mins depending on its size).
- Drain the beetroot and when pieces are cool down peel and chop them.
- Add the oil to a saucepan and fry the onion for about 7 mins until soft.
- Add in the beetroot and curry paste and cook for a few mins.
- Stir in the coconut milk and stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about 5 mins.
- Let the soup cool and whizz with a hand held blender or in a food processor.
- Add lemon juice to you taste and adjust season and serve.