This Toscakaka aka swedish almond cake topped with caramel almonds is rather the rage across Scandinavia.
I am pretty clueless when it comes to football.
My food obsessed brain can cope with almost any recipe (as long as you don’t mention the words macaroons) no matter how complex it seems. Yes it might not always look like it does in the picture, but I would pretty much get it.
However, try explained the offside rule, the difference between the defender and the centre back and why some goals that look a lot like goals, are not actually goals and I am completely lost. My bestie pretty much shakes his head in exasperation as he explains the Euro match timetable, and how the winners are chosen, every single week.
What I did understand very easily was the Redmond EURO2016 Concept challenge, which was to cook something from one of the countries participating in to Euro 2016 football competition. I knew Sweden was one of the participants (hey bestie, some info stuck in my brain after all) and I knew I have been wanting to make a Swedish almond cake with caramelized almonds. So perfect timing
This cake is called Toscakaka and is rather a big deal all over of Scandinavia. You can totally understand why after just one bite. Just think light fluffy sponge topped with crunchy caramel almonds. I took the liberty of adding in some cardamom just because I think it goes well with it. It is rich and you would only need a small slice at a time. Are you tempted?
Do pop over to the Redmond Euro2016 challenge to see all the other lovely Euro 2016 inspired recipes that they have made in their Multicookers.
In the meantime here is how to make a Toscakaka – Swedish almond cake. Hope you try it and enjoy every mouthful.
And after you do, why not visit a few more of my cake recipes?
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Toscakaka - Swedish Almond Cake With Caramel Almonds! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Toscakaka - Swedish Almond Cake With Caramel Almonds
For the sponge cake:
- 150 g (5.3oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.75 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 75 g (2.6oz) salted butter melted
- 75 ml (0.33 cup) buttermilk
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and cardamom in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar using an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Gradually and alternating between them, fold in the flour mix, butter and buttermilk into the egg mix until well combined.
- Lightly oil the inside of the Multicooker Redmond bowl and add in the cake batter.
- Lock the Multicooker lid, select the bake programme and set the timer for 1 hr 10 mins.
- Bake until the programme finishes and carefully transfer the warm cake unto a grill tray.
- Just before the cake finishes baking, quickly make the almond caramel topping.
- Add the sugar, butter, milk and salt to a pot, carefully mix the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Let the mix simmer for about 5-6 mins till thick and slightly darker. Stir in the almonds and simmer for another min.
- Preheat the grill to high, and glaze the still warm cake with the caramel almond topping, and grill the cake for about 5 mins to brown the almonds.
- Let the almond cake cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
This post is sponsored. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for me to continue cooking up great recipes for you. All opinions are my own.