As I get that little bit colder, I find myself craving familiar yet exciting flavours. Like blood oranges in every which way. I am talking blueberry and blood orange smoothies, red blood orange and polenta upside down cake, donuts with blood orange glaze etc, etc.
This week’s craving is about wanting to eat blood red oranges but in muffin form. Although in this case I am not sure if it is just a blood orange thing. It might also be a dessert for breakfast thing too. Or it might be a veganuary thing as these vegan muffins are rather easy to whip up. Any excuse peeps, any excuse.
I love the coarse texture of the polenta in these blood orange muffins which makes them that little bit crumbly and oh so different in a very good way. And a little bit more filling in my opinion. Comfort breakfast food at its best.
Feel free to make these vegan blood red orange muffins in jumbo form or in regular sized versions. You can also add in a dash of lemon juice if you want these breakfast muffins to be a touch sharper. The key thing is to eat them slightly warm, slathered with something fluffy, that runs down your hands as you bite into the muffins. Or is that just me 🙂
If you are looking for other treats you could easily pop over and check out the cranberry cashew muffins from The Hedgecombers, banana strawberry muffins from Little Sunny Kitchen, the weetabix muffins from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary and this kale and blood orange cake from Veggie Desserts . Quite a lush selection to get you baking.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Vegan Olive Oil And Blood Orange Muffins! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Vegan Olive Oil And Blood Orange Muffins
- 1 blood orange thinly sliced pith and seeds removed
- 170 g (1 cup) coarse polenta
- 120 g (1 cup) plain flour
- 0.75 tsp orange zest
- 0.25 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp sodium bicarbonate baking soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) blood orange juice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to fan-assisted 160C / 180C / 350F /gas 4 and prepare your muffin tin.
- Combine the polenta, flour, orange zest, lemon zest, baking powder, sodium bicarbonate and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the muffin batter into the muffin tin and top with blood orange slices bake for 20 – 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let it cool before serving.