So Miss M is a doughnut fiend. Along with being a waffle, a three times a week pancake monster and let’s make cupcakes everyday too person. I don’t blame her really as I love doughnuts too so we indulge together. Clearly, this is more about being a good mum than anything else. Clearly.
Freddy, on the other hand, is a rice addict. Sometimes I wonder if he is not more African than me in that need of his to eat some form of rice a couple of times a week. Again, me being the supportive partner and all that means I join him.
Sitting and thinking about what to make for Easter – something fun, tasty, healthier, creative and getting the whole family cooking together got me thinking how about to combine rice and doughnuts – and the answer was vegetable sushi doughnuts.
Now peeps imagine what the idea of Vegetable Sushi Doughnuts was like in food blogger land. I was all doing a little food dance in the I might have come up with a teeny little thing called a new to food dish. Oh the excitement, which lasted exactly 5 mins when I did a google and Instagram search. I was only a year or so too late for these. Ah well.
How To Make Sushi Doughnuts
The vegetable sushi donuts are pretty easy to make with only 5 ingredients.
Step 1. Cook the sushi rice and steam the veggies.
Step 2. Stir in the seasoning and the rest of the ingredients, mix it all together and stuff this mix into a donut pan.
Step 3. Simply turn the pan upside down and you are good to go.
Oh the fun that both the real kiddoes and the grown-up kids have making these. You can also make a couple of blueberry ones, with blueberry syrup to satisfy the sweet tooth too.
And bluberry sushi donuts.
You guys should definitely pop into your nearest Iceland Foods store and check out their extensive range of frozen veggies and fruit (more than enough for your recommended 10 portions of fruit and veggie a day), meats and much more. Alternatively, just order online and get your food delivered directly to your front door. Easy peasy.
Weight Watchers Points in Vegetable Sushi Doughnuts
One serving of these Vegetable Sushi Doughnuts contains 8 Freestyle Points.
Get the Vegetable Sushi Doughnuts Recipe:
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Vegetable Loaded Sushi Doughnuts! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Vegetable Loaded Sushi Doughnuts
- Extra veggies and sesame seeds
- Wash the sushi rice and let it stand for in water for 15 mins.
- Then transfer to a pot, add the water, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 mins. Switch off the heat and let the rice stand covered for another 15 mins, before leaving to cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix together the rice wine vinegar, the maple syrup and the mirin.
- Add 3 tbsp of the sauce mix to the rice and stir till well combined. You can add more sauce if you wish.
- Then steam the veggies according to the packet instructions and let cool. Drain any excess moisture from the veggies before mixing them with the rice.
- Set out two 6 cups donut silicon trays and divide the vegetable sushi mixture equally between these, stuffing the rice to form a doughnut shape.
- When done carefully invert the doughnut trays to remove your sushi doughnuts, top them with extras to your taste and serve.