Yeap. I am serving up some waffles with cherry sauce. Because it is British cherry season right now which means that delicious cherries need to be eaten in every form possible including in this awesome cherry sauce.
Mini chefs are cherry monsters. They would happily eat a punnet a day each, if I let them. In fact 2 weeks ago their rather indulgent godfather dropped off 5 kilos of cherries for them, which eaten in 2 days. Yeap, 2 days. Apart from the few which I quietly liberated to test out this cherry sauce. I am always thinking of you readers.
The waffles are easy to make. But the cherry sauce is even easier. I think this is one of the best ways to use up those less than fresh cherries you might have lying around, because face it, fresh cherries are meant to just be eaten straight up and unadulterated. This cherry sauce is made with just three ingredients aka cherries, maple syrup and water. Fast and perfect to make with and for the kiddoes. When the kiddoes go off to sleep then please feel free to add in a little bit of something. Only for the grown-ups.
If you are looking for more sweet treats for brunch, then how about these chocolate orange muffins, and these date flapjacks from the Hedgecombers or these almond lemon waffles and vanilla buckwheat waffles or this blackcurrant flapjack recipe or chocolate bouquet tutorial from Foodie Quine, these gluten free brownies or tunisian orange cake from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary. You could also check out places to eat a vegan brunch London. Plenty of choice there for you.
Ok enough with the chat now. Here is how to make waffles with cherry sauce. Please do try it and if you do make them, then please do tag me on Instagram or twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes.
Thank you for reading my waffles with cherry sauce recipe post. Tune back in for more recipes, African recipes, Sierra Leonean recipes, travel plans and much, more.
Waffles with cherry sauce
For the cherry sauce:
- 1 kg (2.2oz) of cherries pitted and divided
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp bourbon optional
For the waffles
- 450 ml (1.9 cups) milk
- 125 g (4.4oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300 g (10.5oz) self-raising flour
Make the cherry sauce:
- Place 3/4ths of the cherries, the maple syrup and water into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer (uncovered) and cook for up to 20 mins until the cherries have broken down.
- If serving for grown-ups then stir in the brandy and then switch of the heat
Make the waffles:
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Whisk together milk, butter and eggs, almond extract and lemon zest and set aside.
- Add flour into a large bowl and make a hole in the centre.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the flour to make a batter and don't worry if there are some lumps.
- Cook waffles according to your machine’s instructions until all the batter is finished
- Repeat until all the mixture is finished
- Serve the waffles topped with a sprinkle of icing sugar, the cherry sauce and the extra cherries dotted around.
Please pin me: