So, about food blogging. It is absolute fun. I get to do my one of favourite jobs, in the whole wide world, for a living. I get to create, taste, re-create, make it perfect (in my head), photograph and share all my food adventures with you guys. So yes, the best job in the world.
It is rather easy for food blogging to turn into a sedentary job. Cooking, taking photographs, editing them, writing and social media involves a lot of sitting etc. I get less fit and the weight creeps on. Also on really crazy days, when I am waaaaaaaay too tired to cook, I tend to just want to grab something unhealthy and easy.
So, I have a cunning plan – aka stock up my fridge with some food that is tasty, healthier and nutritious and comes with the tagline ‘no food is off limits”, for days when I just NEED to eat, NOT cook.
Enter Weight Watchers with their huge range of ready to eat foods and their really simple and new SmartPoints system. Personally, I like this idea much more than their previous system.
The idea behind SmartPoints is that they help nudge you towards nutritious, healthier foods so that you eat better, feel better, have more energy AND lose weight. So, foods that are higher in sugar and/or saturated fat are higher in SmartPoints values. Foods that are higher in lean protein are lower in SmartPoints values. You’re steered towards healthier choices. Simples and clever right?
To make it even simpler to make healthier eating and shopping choices, Weight Watchers has unveiled a brand new packaging design. This clearly shows SmartPoints value and calorie and nutritional information. So, the only thinking necessary is what delicious treats to get.
Next time you are out doing your supermarket shop check out some of the Weight Watchers range like these chilled ready meals, yoghurts, cheese, dessert (yes please) pittas and drinks. So much choice there.
Having been inspired by all the Weight Watchers food range, I also decided to try and make healthier choices when cooking starting by recreating the Weight Watchers Chilli Con Carne Meatballs recipe.
The Chilli Con Carne Meatballs are an easy one-pot recipe with, lower fat and only 371 calories per serving. I served it simply with Instant Pot Brown Rice but, you can use wholemeal pasta or if you want to reduce your carbs, you could serve with a salad or some stir-fried veggies.
Thank you for reading myWeight Watchers chilli Con Carne Meatballs recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue dreaming up recipes, traditional African recipes, African fusion recipes, Sierra Leone recipes, travel plans and much more for you.
Here is how to make these Weight Watchers chilli Con Carne Meatballs . Please do try them and if you do make them then please do tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter so that I can pop over and have a look. It is really, really awesome for me when you make any one of my recipes. You can also share it on my Facebook page.
- 500 g (1.1lb)extra lean beef mince
- 30 g (1 oz) sachet chilli con carne spice mix
- 1 onion , finely grated
- Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 1 green chilli , de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins of chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml (0.6cups) stock
- 400 g (14oz ) black-eye beans, drained and rinsed
- Ground black pepper
- Mix together the beef mince, half the chilli spice mix and the onion in a large bowl. Before shaping into 24 small meatballs.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and spray with the cooking spray. Cook the meatballs in batches for about 10 mins, turning occasionally until browned all over and almost cooked. Remove and set aside somewhere warm.
- Spray the pan again with the cooking spray and add the chopped chilli, tomato puree and remaining spice mix. Cook for 1 min before stirring in the chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Return the meatballs to the saucepan followed by the black-eyed beans. Simmer with the lid uncovered for a further 5 mins until the chilli has thickened and the meatballs are cooked through. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.
- You can serve the chilli with brown rice or stir fried rice and guacamole and soured cream.