I had a Halloween plan.
A simple one really – aka make blood cookies and Dracula punch and blog about them. But I woke up in the morning, saw my pancake pan and thought I really, really, really just want to make pumpkin pancakes. So pumpkin pancakes will be my kids Halloween food. I will save the cookies and drinks for another year.
Compared to this time last year I have not gone too pumpkin crazy. I have only made pumpkin pie smoothies and pasta with pumpkin sauce and toasted hazelnuts. I guess this pancake recipe is my subconscious trying to remedy that.
This is my base wholemeal pancake recipe and when loaded with lovely spices and topped with warm spiced apple compote, they are just about foodgasmic. My subconscious did a little dance, polished them all off and was full for the rest of the day.
Don't forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on Instagram or Twitter if you try Wholemeal Pumpkin Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and I'd love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
Wholemeal Pumpkin Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote
For the wholemeal pumpkin pancakes:
For the spiced apple compote:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 apples sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or more to your taste
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, sodium bicarbonate, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt and mix well. In another bowl combine the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree and maple syrup and mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix until just combined. Your batter will be thick and might have a few lumps which is ok.
- Cook the pancakes for a couple of minutes and when the top starts bubbling then turn over and cook the other side till it is set. Continue until all the batter is all gone and keep the pancakes warm.
Make the spiced apple compote.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add in the apple slices and spices and mix so that the apple slices are well coated.
- Cook on one side until the apples are soft then turn them over and cook till they are soft on the other side. Add the maple syrup and let everything cook together for a min.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the spiced apples.