Plantain Pancakes are a delicious breakfast staple!
Plantain Pancakes Ingredients:
- 1 overripe plantain peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk plus up to an additional 1/3 cup, if needed to thin batter
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- optional extras: cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt
- oil or butter for frying
Plantain Pancakes Instructions:
Put the plantain pieces in a blender and blend till smooth and no lumps remain.
Add the rest of the ingredients and blend till combined. If the batter is too think, just add a couple of tablespoons of milk at a time till you get the consistency you desire.
If you have time, allow the batter to stand for 30 mins.
Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and add in one ladle of plantain pancake batter. Tilt the pan slightly so the batter spreads and covers the bottom of the pan.
Cook until the pancake sets at the bottom, then flip and briefly cook the other side.
Repeat till the rest of the batter is done, adding a tiny amount of oil to the pan between each pancake.
Plantain Pancakes Tips
- These pancakes will break if you flip them like a traditional pancake so do turn them over carefully.
- They will not bubble like traditional pancakes so you have to keep check them to see if they are done before turning them over.
- Plantain pancakes are sweet from the plantain, so do not be tempted to add in any sugar.
Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 67mg | Potassium: 205mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 576IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1mg