Rustic Chickpea Soup
This rustic chickpea soup recipe is simple, chunky, warming and great for lunch boxes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 400 g 14oz tin chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 400 g 14oz chopped Cirio tomatoes
- 1 l 4 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs optional
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 50 g 1/2 cup mini pasta
- Basil pesto and fresh bread to serve
Heat the oil and fry the sweet potato, celery and onion and fry for 8 mins until soft. Then add the garlic and stir fry for 30 sec.
Add in the chickpeas, tomatoes, stock, herbs, salt and chilli, bring to the boil and then simmer for 8 mins. Then add in the pasta and simmer for between 8-10 mins until the pasta is cooked.
Serve the soup topped with fresh basil pesto and crusty bread.