Quinoa Porridge with Berries
Quinoa Porridge with Berries is a satisfying and delicious way to start your day.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup (150g) quinoa well rinsed and drained
- 2 3/4 cups (625ml) plant milk divided; 2 cups for cooking and the rest to pour over porridge later
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 apple grated
- maple syrup
- pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter to mix in with 3/4 cup milk
Pour the quinoa into a fine mesh sieve.
Rinse under a running tap and thoroughly wash the quinoa, rubbing through it with your fingers, for 3 mins to remove any bitter outer coating.
Let the quinoa drain for a few mins to remove the excess liquid.
Place the quinoa into a pot and add in 2 cups milk, vanilla and cardamom and bring to the boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 15 mins. You will see tiny spirals coming out of the seeds.
Remove the quinoa from the heat, open and fluff the grains then let stand for about 10 mins.
Serve and top with apple, berries, pumpkin seeds, and maple syrup. Mix almond butter in with remaining 3/4 cup milk and pour over top.
Quinoa Breakfast Porridge Tips
- You can use both single color or multi color quinoa.
- You can use leftover quinoa in this recipe as long as it is not seasoned.
- I prefer almond milk, followed closely by drinking coconut milk, for this recipe. I used a2 Milk™.
- You can use honey or regular milk if not vegan.
- Add brown sugar instead.
Quinoa Porridge with Berries Weight Watchers Points
There are 5 Freestyle SmartPoints in a serving of this quinoa porridge.
What To Serve With Gluten Free Quinoa Porridge
Instant Pot Orange Strawberry Jam.
Rosewater Raspberry Jam.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 226mg | Potassium: 258mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 238mg | Iron: 2mg