Instant Pot Lentil Soup (Mexican)
This Instant Pot Lentil Soup is full of rich Mexican flavours and packed with protein.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 peppers descended and finely chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and finely cubed
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Chilli to taste
- 300 g 1.5 cups green lentils picked thru and rinsed
- 750 ml (3 cup) vegetable stock
- 2 X 400g (14 oz) finely chopped tomatoes
- 6 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
Switch the Instant Pot on to the sauté setting. Add the oil to the Instant Pot insert and sauté the onions, peppers, carrots and bay leaf (if using) for 4-5 mins until the onion is soft.
Switch off the heat and stir in the garlic, paprika, cumin and chilli.
Mix in the lentils, vegetable stock, tomatoes, and salt.
Cover your Instant Pot, set the vent to 'sealing,' select the manual or pressure cook button (dependent upon IP model), select high pressure and set the timer to 7 mins.
When done allow the pot to NPR for 15 mins before releasing the rest of the steam using quick release.
Stir in the coriander (cilantro), adjust seasoning and serve.
Cook time does not include time to come up to pressure or for pressure to release.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Lentils
- You can also make this dish using Indian spices.
- This is a perfect meal prep recipe. Whip up a big batch at the beginning of the week and eat it throughout the week. I personally believe the taste is at its peak several days after making it.
- If you wish, you can add meat to this pressure cooker lentil soup. Beef mince is an easy addition – add it to Step 1 and brown it alongside the veggies, then add it to cook with the rest of the ingredients.
Weight Watchers Points in Instant Pot Lentil Soup
If you replace the 1 tbsp olive oil with a calorie-controlled cooking spray, there are:
- You can garnish with parmesan cheese if not vegan.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- 0 Freestyle points per serving (yeap, zero!!)
- 3 PointsPlus points per serving
- On top: sliced avocado, sour cream (if not vegan), cheese (or a cheese substitute if vegan)
- A crusty baguette
- Homemade corn tortillas
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 724mg | Potassium: 990mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 7055IU | Vitamin C: 70.4mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 5.9mg