Dump and Start Instant Pot African Cinnamon Peanut Butter Chicken
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken is a quick and easy way to serve up a flavorful and traditional African dish.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Instant Pot Peanut Sauce Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lb skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup (200ml) coconut milk liquid and cream divided
- 1 cup (200ml) tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or tomato purée
- 2 green onions spring onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- lime juice, to taste or tamari soya
- 6-7 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- optional sweetener of choice i.e. honey, brown sugar, or keto sweetener
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe Instructions:
Add the chicken to the Instant Pot insert.
Pour in the liquid of the coconut milk first, and then add the coconut cream on top of the chicken.
Next, layer the tomato paste, onions and spices on top of the coconut cream.
Put the peanut butter in last (on the very top) and DO NOT MIX IN.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn valve to the sealing position.
Set to manual/pressure cook on high pressure for 6 mins. please note: cook time does not include time to come up to pressure or for pressure to release.
When cook time is done, allow for a complete natural pressure release.
Open the lid. The peanut butter will still be on top. Stir until all ingredients are combined and sauce is thickened.
Adjust the seasonings in your peanut butter chicken, to taste.
Serve and enjoy.
Instant Pot African Peanut Butter Chicken Tips and Timings
- You can vary the spices you add to this peanut butter chicken to suit your taste. For example, freshly grated ginger adds a lovely note.
- If you prefer to make peanut sauce chicken with thigh meat, you will need to increase the cooking time.
- This Instant Pot peanut butter chicken is an oil-free recipe.
- To avoid a burn notice, DO NOT MIX in the peanut butter prior to cooking. Make sure it is on the very top and not touching the bottom or sides of the Instant Pot insert.
What to Serve With Instant Pot African Cinnamon Peanut Butter Chicken
In Africa, peanut butter chicken is served with rice. But if you want to keep this a low carb meal, then just swap in some cauliflower rice instead.
African Cinnamon Peanut Butter Chicken also tastes delicious with these side dishes:
Instant Pot Broccoli.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
Red Potato Salad.
Weight Watchers Points in Peanut Sauce Chicken
There are 8 Freestyle SmartPoints in a serving of Instant Pot peanut sauce chicken.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 258mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 7.3mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1.6mg