Green Beans Almondine
A delicious and versatile side dish that is quick and easy to make!
- 1 lb (450g) green beans tipped and tailed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add the green beans and blanch for 4-5 mins.
Drain the water, transfer green beans to a bowl and set aside.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in shallots and sauté for a couple of mins.
Then add the almonds and garlic and cook for a further couple of mins, until fragrant.
Switch off the heat and stir in the lemon juice and green beans till combined. Serve warm.
Green Beans Almondine Tips
- It is great to use beans are slightly firm for this so they don't disintegrate when mixing, but if you prefer softer beans then cook them for a little longer.
- Mix the green beans gently so that they don’t break.
- If you don’t have shallot to hand you can use green onions or some very finely chopped white onions.
- You can trim your beans ahead of time as well as slice up your almonds ahead of time to cut down on the prep time. Or you can buy pre trimmed beans form the store.
- Feel free to leave the tails on the beans when cooking.
- You can easily add more butter, more shallots or more almonds to your taste.
- You can use canned beans but I think this recipe works best with fresh green beans.
Green Bean Almondine Weight Watchers Points
There are 3 Freestyle SmartPoints in a serving of this green beans with slivered almonds recipe.
Green Beans Almondine Serving Suggestions
Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 265mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 766IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1mg