How To Steam Carrots
Learn how to steam carrots easily using your preferred method.
- 1 pound (450g) whole carrots
- optional flavorings salt, butter, thyme, parsley, dill, etc.
Rinse carrots, removing any debris and pat dry with a paper towel.
Peel carrots with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler and slice carrots to about 1/4 inch slices on a cutting board.
Add water into a saucepan and bring water to a boil.
Add carrots to a steamer basket, place on top of the saucepan, and cover.
Cook carrots for 4-5 minutes, then test for doneness.
Cook for a few more minutes if need.
When done, let stand for a couple of minutes then drain, add to a serving dish and add any flavorings.
- Make sure to cut carrot pieces into even size pieces, so they cook evenly.
- Make sure you start steaming them over boiling water as this makes the vegetable cook quicker.
- To test for doneness stick a fork into them and see how you like them.
- Feel free to add cooked carrots into a frying pan with some melted butter to crisp them up and add extra flavor.
- If mixing in seasonings, do it carefully so you don't break the pieces.
- Choose a microwave safe container that will hold all of your sliced vegetables without overflowing.
- Make sure to keep an eye on the steaming liquid. If it evaporates, you will need to add in some more.
- Feel free to use the remaining cooking liquid for stock, as this adds a nice flavor.
- Storage - keep leftover steamed carrots in ain airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- There are 0 WW Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving.
Calories: 31kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 0.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.02g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 12630IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 0.2mg