Baharat Spiced Roast Duck over an Orange and Pomegranate Couscous Salad
Baharat spice and pomegranate bring an new twist to the usual duck and orange combination.
For the baharat spiced roast duck
- 2 Gressingham duck breast fillets
- 1/2 tbsp baharat spice blend ( I used Barts)
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the couscous salad
- 130 g (1 cup) couscous
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 large oranges , peeled, pitted and finely chopped
- 25 g (1/4 cup) pistachio chopped
- 2 large spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh chopped herbs
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
For the baharat spiced roast duck breasts:
Preheat the oven to fan assisted 200C / 220C / 425F / gas 7. Mix together the duck breasts, baharat spice, salt and oil and leave to marinate for 5 mins. Put the duck breast (skinless side down) into a cold frying pan and fry on medium heat for 6 mins. Quickly turn over the duck breasts and sear for 30 seconds before transferring them to a baking tin. Roast for approximately 10 mins (rare), 15 min (medium) or 18 min (well done). Let the duck rest for 10 mins whilst you make the couscous salad.
For the couscous salad:
Mix the couscous, salt and water in a bowl, then cover with a plate and let it stand for 5 mins. Then stir it again and cover for another 5 mins. Using a fork fluff up the couscous and add all the rest of the salad ingredients and mix well.