Orange Pistachio Pomegranate Couscous Salad
A colourful couscous salad - with cranberries, pomegranate, pistachios and flavoured with oranges and mint.
- 360 g (2 cups) couscous
- 500 ml (2 cups) boiling water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 tbsp orange juice
- 5 large oranges peeled, pitted and finely chopped
- 50 g (1/2 cup) pistachio chopped
- 100 g (1 cup) dried sweetened cranberries
- 4 large spring onions scallions, finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls of chopped mint
- Seeds from one pomegranate
Add the couscous, salt and water into a bowl mix very well, then cover with a plate and let it stand for 5 minutes.
Then stir it again and cover for another 5 minutes.
Using a fork fluff up the couscous and add everything and mix well.
Vegan Couscous Salad Tips
What to Serve with Couscous Salad
This recipe actually works well as a main dish by itself. However, if you want to serve it as a side here are a few ideas.
Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potato (vegan).
The Best Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe (if not vegan).
- The first thing is obviously making the couscous. You need the perfect fluffy couscous which forms the base of the salad. The secret to getting couscous right every time is the right couscous to liquid ration which volume wise is 1 to 1. So 1 cups / 180g couscous to 1 cup / 240ml of liquid. Read this post to find out more about how to cook couscous in 10 mins.
- For savoury couscous salads, you can use either hot water or stock as the liquid. However, for fruity couscous salads it is worth using only water as you get to add taste later on with salad dressings and fruit juices.
- My preference for dressing couscous is either adding in some citrus juice ie orange, lemon or lime juice or adding a bit of balsamic vinaigrette dressing. A little bit of citrus zest works wonder too.
Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 0.8mg