Spiced Apple Granola
An autumnal spiced apple granola
For the syrup
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the oats
- 2 1/2 cups (180g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 apple, peeled and diced they need to be a tiny bit smaller than 1 cm cubed, or they won't dry properly
- 6 tbsp slivered almonds
- 4 tbsp dried fruits optional
Mix syrup ingredients together in a pot and warm gently on the cooker until combined.
Stir the spices and apple into the oats.
Heat the oven to fan assisted 120C / 140C / 275F / gas 1.
Add the syrup to the oat mix and combine thoroughly.
Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a baking tray (you might need two trays) and bake for 20 mins.
Then add in the nuts, mix again and bake for another 20 mins.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Stir in fruits if you are using and serve.
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Apple Cinnamon Granola Tips
- You need old fashioned rolled oats (not the quick cook variety) for this recipe.
- Make sure to cut the apples a little smaller than 1 cm cubes otherwise they won't dry out properly.
- Use sweeter apples for a sweeter tasting apple granola.
- This is not too sweet - I like my granola that way. But you can double the syrup mixture if you prefer.
- Do make sure to cook the granola at the temperature the recipe calls for. If you cook it at a high temperature you risk the granola not drying out but actually burning.
Apple Granola Weight Watchers Points
There are 6 Freestyle SmartPoints in a serving of Spiced Apple Granola.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 153mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.1mg