How To Cook Quinoa
A quick guide on how to cook this fluffy grain.
- 1 cup (170g) quinoa
- 1 ¾ cups (420ml) water or stock
- 1 teaspoon olive oil optional
- salt optional and to taste
Pour the quinoa into a fine mesh sieve.
Rinse under a running tap and thoroughly wash the quinoa (rubbing through it with your fingers) for 3 minutes to remove any bitter outer coating.
Let the quinoa drain for a few minutes to remove excess liquid.
Place the quinoa into a pot, add in water, oil, and salt and bring to the boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes - you will see tiny spirals (aka the germ) coming out of the seeds.
Remove the quinoa from the heat, open the lid and fluff the grains. Then cover again and let stand for about 10 minutes.
The cooked quinoa should have a slight bite to it.
Cook It In The Rice Cooker
Oil the rice cooker insert, add the quinoa, water, oil and salt.
Cover the rice cooker and press cook and let it cook until done.
- If you have time, let the rinsed quinoa drain between 15-30 minutes to get rid of the excess moisture.
- Toasting the quinoa before cooking adds an extra depth of nutty flavor.
- Do not reheat cooked quinoa more than once.
- Store the cooled cooked quinoa in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- If you omit the oil or replace it with a calorie-controlled cooking spray, there are 2 WW Blue Plan SmartPoints in a serving of this.
Serving: 2servings | Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 964mg | Potassium: 478mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 510IU | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 3.9mg