Dump and Start Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa
Dump and Start Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa is super flavourful, healthy, and versatile.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas defrosted
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 15 oz (425g) black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 2 green onions (spring onions), sliced
- pinch lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp chipotle paste optional
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Toppings: extra salsa, chopped cilantro (fresh coriander), lime slices
Instant Pot Method:
Add water to the bottom of the Instant Pot Insert.
In a bowl, combine ingredients, from quinoa through chipotle, and then mix well.
Add the mixture to the Instant Pot insert.
Top the mixture with salsa.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock. Turn the valve to the sealing position (not venting) and select pressure cook / manual for 1 min.
Once done, allow for a full natural pressure release. Then remove from the Instant Pot and serve with the suggested toppings.
Place 2 cups of water in a pot on the stovetop.
Combine all ingredients, from quinoa through salsa, in a bowl and mix well.
Add mixture to the pot.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot and let cook for 15-18 mins.
Switch off the heat, open the lid and fluff the quinoa mixture.
Place lid back on the pot let it stand for approx. 10 mins.
Remove from the pot and serve with the suggested toppings.
Tips For Making Dump and Start Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa
What to Serve With Dump and Start Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa
For a hearty and satisfying vegan meal, serve Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa with these flavourful Air Fryer Chickpea Tacos. Sooooo good!
And if not vegan, pair it with my Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, or a cup of zesty Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Weight Watchers Points in Dump and Start Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa
One serving contains 3 Freestyle Points.
- Do remember to soak and drain your quinoa at least 30 mins before cooking. If you think the quinoa is not drained well, you can reduce the amount of water in the recipe by 1-2 tbsp.
- If you prefer your quinoa grains to be less separated, then add a bit more water to the Instant Pot.
- If making this for the kiddoes, feel free to omit the chipotle pepper.
- You can easily adapt this recipe to suit your taste. For example, use stock instead of water. Or add the chopped cilantro in before cooking.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 438mg | Potassium: 607mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1015IU | Vitamin C: 39.5mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 3.3mg