Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes
This side is a sweet, buttery, and plate-licking good.
- 4 lbs (1.81 kg) sweet potatoes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup (198g) packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice (pimento)
Preheat oven to 350 F / 176 C.
Use a sharp knife to peel and slice sweet potatoes.
Arrange the sweet potato slices in a casserole dish.
Melt butter in a saucepan, then add in the brown sugar, maple syrup, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Stir to combine.
Pour mixture over potato slices and cover the casserole with aluminum foil.
Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 40-50 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Try to cut the sweet potatoes about the same thickness to help them cook evenly.
- Try to make sure all of the sweet potatoes are covered in the liquid before they start cooking.
- Check to make sure your sweet potatoes are cooked through before removing this dish from the oven. If they are still firm, then continue cooking them.
- If this start to burn when you’re cooking them uncovered, your dish may be too close to the heating element of your oven.
- This recipe is most tasty when using fresh sweet potatoes, so I don’t recommend using canned sweet potatoes.
- If you’re looking for a varying texture, feel free to toss the smaller ends of the sweet potatoes in the mix to have a few mushier bites with your slightly firmer, thicker bites.
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 818mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 32350IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 2mg