Instant Pot Pinto Beans
A hearty and satisfying pantry staples recipe with no pre-soaking needed!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced frozen onion or one large fresh onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb (450g) pinto beans rinsed and picked through
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika gives it a great smoky flavor!
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 29 oz (2 x 14.5 oz cans) canned diced tomatoes
- Tamari soy sauce to taste (at the end of cooking), or regular soy sauce if not GF
Set the Instant Pot to sauté; add oil and sauté onion for about 5 minutes till soft.
Switch off sauté mode and quickly stir in the garlic. Then layer in the rest of the ingredients, ending with diced tomatoes on top and DO NOT mix.
Close pot, set valve to sealing, select the pressure cook / manual (dependent upon IP model), select high pressure and set the timer to 40 minutes.
Allow a natural pressure release (NPR) for 20 minutes and then a quick pressure release for the rest.
Open the Instant Pot, stir in Tamari soy sauce, and serve.
- Add more veggies. Mix and match the veggies with what you have on hand. You can even use fresh veggies instead of frozen.
- Vary the spices. Use what you have available. I have made this with creole seasoning and fajita seasoning and both were great.
- Add meat. This recipe is purely vegan and made with pantry staples. You can certainly add bacon, chorizo or a ham hock in if you want meaty beans.
- Bulk it out. Add bulk to the meal by serving the beans over another starch such as rice.
- Important to layer. The layering of ingredients is important. You want to make sure you add the tomatoes last and do not mix them in.
- It gets thicker. This pinto bean soup//stew thickens as it stands. If you plan to reheat you may want to add more broth to thin as desired.
- Change up the beans. Use other beans like navy beans, but be aware that cook time will vary.
- Cook time listed does not include the time it takes the IP to come up to pressure, or for pressure to release.
Weight Watchers Points
If you replace the oil with a no-calorie cooking spreay, there are 0 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 684mg | Potassium: 1011mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 4mg