Instant Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken
Enjoy this Instant Pot Asian Chicken that’s packed full of sweet and nutty flavor is better than takeout.
- 2 lbs (900g) boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup (120ml) low sodium Tamari soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (113g) honey
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Instant Pot Instructions:
Add the chicken through to the minced ginger from the ingredients list into the Instant Pot insert.
Mix everything, close lid, seal, pressure cook on high pressure/manual for 4 mins.
When done perform a Quick Pressure Release and open lid.
Remove the chicken and leave the sauce behind (or you can leave chicken in).
Select the Sauté mode.
Make the Cornstarch Slurry by combining the cornstarch and water in a mixing bowl until smooth.
Add mixture to the Instant Pot and combine. Cook, making sure to mix regularly until the sauce thickens, anywhere from about 2-4 mins (or done to your preference).
Switch Instant Pot off, add chicken back in, let stand for a few mins then serve over rice topped with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Start by browning your chicken.
Add low sodium Tamari soy sauce through to the minced garlic from the ingredients list into the slow cooker. Mix everything.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hrs.
Make cornstarch slurry, mix it in and cook for another 30 mins or until done.
- Usually for this recipe, you’d coat the chicken in flour and fry it, but I’ve changed this up a bit to avoid getting a burn notice.
- It’s better to remove the chicken when thickening the sauce so that it does not overcook the chicken. But if you prefer, you can leave it in and keep an eye on the chicken so it does not over cook.
- Don’t use flour – stick with cornstarch.
- For thicker sauce, add an extra tablespoon of cornstarch and water.
- You can make this a Dump and Start recipe by not thickening the sauce. But I think it tastes best thickened.
- Cooking time listed does not include time for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure, or for the pressure to release.
Weight Watchers Points
There are 8 Blue Plan SmartPoints in one serving of these.
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 1298mg | Potassium: 452mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 109IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 2mg